Thread: lenses for 69 roll film.

lenses for 69 roll film.

Hi Guys,

I am having to put together some lenses for shooting on 69 roll film.
    I will actually be using 68 of the film.

Using the smaller format I am looking for the sharpest lenses but still need to be able to utilise a full range of movements.

So looking at the:
    35/38mm
    45/47mm
    58/65mm
    75/80mm ranges.

I would like to stick to one lens set (i.e. all schnieder, rodenstock, etc) to keep a similar look if possible.
    Use will be for a mixture of landscape and some interiors / exteriors.

Are one of the schneiders or rodenstocks sets of lenses known for their better sharpness at these focal lengths.

Thanks,

Marc

Re: lenses for 69 roll film.

Hi !
    On the wide-angle side for 6x9 I have the 45 and 55 Rodenstock apo-grandagons. Those lense are extremely sharp, best aperture is around f/8, differences with the competing Schneiders seem to be small, mostly color rendition.
    Unfortunately there is nowadays no actual dedicated 6x9 "film" lens in 75-80mm ; there used to be a 2.8/80 planar and a competing xenotar, you could find them used, but they cover not much than 60-65°.
    For 75 I use the "small" classical Rodenstock 75mm 6.8, discontinued but easy to find second hand. It is a very pleasant lens, the fact that its image circle is smaller than its elder brother 90-4,5 is not an issue in 6x9. As experienced by users of this lens, coverage progresses at F/22 but you do not care in 6x8, shaprness at the centre is already there at f/16. But this is a 4x5" lens.

Most probably new "digital" lens series will provide outstanding results on film. So far I have read only very few feed-back comments on the sues of the new "difigalt" lenses on film.
    Rodenstock mentions that the last 70mm apo-sironar-digital can be used on film with a corrector glass plane for top performance. This is probably, accoding to the superb MTF curves, one of the sharpest lens you can find for medium format (outch, this is off-limits for my budget). Although the manufacturer recommends this new lens for 46x56mm sensors, the official image circle is 100 mm. So it should cover 6x8 but with limited movements.
    90 mm digital lenses either from Schneider or Rodenstock are worth mentioning for some extra image circle and top sharpness, but all friends who use classical 90mm "film "lenses on 6x9 do not complain too much.

Do not overlook the 100-105mm standard focal length, 6-element 70-75°. There used to be one 100 mm apo-symmar in the Schneider catalog, 100-105mm exist from Nikon and Fuji, plus the 100mm apo sironar S wich is a very sharp lens.

[QUOTE=Emmanuel BIGLER;252074]Hi !
    "On the wide-angle side for 6x9 I have the 45 and 55 Rodenstock apo-grandagons. Those lense are extremely sharp, best aperture is around f/8, differences with the competing Schneiders seem to be small, mostly color rendition."

The Apo Sironar Digital series is suburb for roll film and the wide angle versions of these lenses start at 35mm.

"Unfortunately there is nowadays no actual dedicated 6x9 "film" lens in 75-80mm ; there used to be a 2.8/80 planar and a competing xenotar, you could find them used, but they cover not much than 60-65°."

In this range Rodenstock has the 70mm and 90mm Apo Sironar Digital.

"Most probably new "digital" lens series will provide outstanding results on film. So far I have read only very few feed-back comments on the sues of the new "difigalt" lenses on film.
    Rodenstock mentions that the last 70mm apo-sironar-digital can be used on film with a corrector glass plane for top performance. This is probably, accoding to the superb MTF curves, one of the sharpest lens you can find for medium format (outch, this is off-limits for my budget). "

No, The Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital HR lenses; 28, 35, 60, 100, 180mm need a corrector plate to work with film as the cover glass over the sensor on a digital back is part of the optical formula with these lenses. If you use one of these lenses with film and don't use a correction plate then you will be out of focus by 1/3 the thickness of the corrector plate.

On the other Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital lenses; 35, 45, 55, 70, 90, 120, 135, 150 and the 120 macro no corrector plate is offered or required for use with film.

"Although the manufacturer recommends this new lens for 46x56mm sensors, the official image circle is 100 mm. "

No again. Apo Sironar Digital HR lenses; 28, 35, 60, 100, 180mm cover 70mm except for the 180 which covers 80mm.

The Apo Sironar Digital lenses; 35, 45, 55, 70, 90, 120, 135, 150 and the 120 macro
    cover: 35mm = 105mm, 45 to 105mm = 125mm, 120 to 180mm = 150mm. This series is excellent on roll film and was one of the reasons why they were designed.

Lastly you can also use the 35, 45, 55mm Apo Grandagons, 65 and 75mm Grandagon -N and the 100, 135, 150 and 180mm Apo Sironar S lenses and the 120 or 180 Apo Macro Sironar lenses.

These lenses would also be excellent for roll film and will cover a larger circle then the Apo Sirinar Digital lenses.

Dear Mr. Salomon. I have placed available for our readers scans of a brochure distributed at the 2006 Photokina by Rodenstock about their new apo sironar digital 70mm lens, plus the new 28mm (not mentioned by me in this discussion for 6x9).
    This is what I faithfully quote ; did we have access to the same brochure ?

Apo-Sironar digital 70 mm f/5.6

http://cjoint.com/?gzoUDnqHee page 1
    http://cjoint.com/?gzoU2Mt45Y page 2
    http://cjoint.com/?gzoVmG0QVx page 3
    http://cjoint.com/?gzoVFuWG7p page 4

What I said :
    Rodenstock mentions that the last 70mm apo-sironar-digital can be used on film with a corrector glass plane for top performance.

Mr Salomon's answer : No

Offical Rodenstock brochure for the 70 mm apo sironar digital page 1:

Therefore, when highest demands are made on the sharpness and contrast of photos taken on conventionaI film or in technical appications with sensors without a cover gIass, an optionatly available clear glass In a 43 mm filter frame has to be fixed at the rear fitter thread of the Lens to simulate the missing cover glass.

About the image circle, see page 3, the 70 mm the 70 mm lens covers 70°, i.e. 100mm in diameter for a 70mm focal lens.

I stand corrected... except if the brochure I have is a not the good one !

Emmanual,

The HR series requires the corerector plate the Apo Sironar Digital does not require the plate.

Rodenstock (Linos) introduced three new lenses at Photokina 2006. Two are Apo Sironar Digital HR lenses, the 28mm and the 180mm. The third is the 70mm which is not an HR lens. Therefore it does not need the corrector plate for film. The 28 and the 180mm do need the plate.

You are correct in that the 70mm does not need the plate. But no Apo Sironar needs the plate.

Only the HR series needs the plate.

Clear now?

Bob.
    What is clear to me is what I read in the official Rodenstock brochure. So I'm happy if we have access to the same brochure.
    To me what is interesting in the new digital lenses, is that they can actually be used on film and that there is no real mystery about their "digital" nature, except for the question of the correcting plate, when applicable.
    So the new Rodenstock 70mm, non HR, 70° of coverage, can be used without correction plate, but, as an exception to the non HR series, if I read the datasheet well, Rodenstock does proposes a corrector plate for some extremely demanding applications. So this is optional.

But you are right, recently designed lenses suitable for 6x9 are "digital' lenses, with the exception of the film-designed apo sironar S 100mm.