Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: To loupe or not to loupe?

Re: To loupe or not to loupe?

My cataract lens replacements are one far, one near

I use the Edmond 6X and drilled a hole for a neck string

Like it's adjustability

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Have you looked at this one from Edmund?
    https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/opaqu...gnifier/11954/
    Tin Can

Check the Eschnbach web site to see viewing aids and loupes/magnifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    Resurrecting one of these old loupe threads, hoping for some advice. I have had cataract surgery and I am corrected for close up. Still can’t get close enough for fine work. Seems like I see best 14-16 inches. The other issue is a lot of the preferred solutions are no longer readily available. Reading glasses may be an option and frees up a hand? Is the translucent base acceptable, especially since working under a dark cloth?
    The big camera stores don’t have much specific to this application. Any other resources?

Be kind, please

Ken
    After cataract surgery, you have one focus distance uncorrected - period. For anything else you need correction. For closer than your 14-16 inches, you'll likely need a combination of reading glasses and a loupe to get you close enough to fine focus. If you can compose and focus roughly without readers you may be able to get away with just the loupe (I can't - I compose with 3-4 diopter readers). However, you may find that a pair of readers gets you to a more comfortable working distance (closer) from the ground glass

As for a loupe, you need to try out different strengths and find what works best for you. Many like the lower 4x power, many like up to 10x. I've used all of them and am now using loupes in the 5x - 8x range.

There's also the choice to be made between a loupe with adjustable skirt and optics and a free-floating magnifier. Once you get a skirted loupe set up (adjusted for your vision and focused on the frosted side of the ground glass) they are quick and reliable to use. The downside to skirted loupes is that you can't see into the corners of the ground glass easily (if at all) and it's often difficult to find the "hot spot" off-center when using short focal-length lenses. I like a free-floating "loupe." I use stamp magnifiers and a retractable 6x aspheric hand magnifier; some use thread-counting magnifiers. With a free-floating magnifier, you have to find the right distance from the ground glass every time by moving the loupe and your head. The advantage is that you can look at the ground glass from any angle, making it easy to see into the corners and to find the hot spot. Another possibility along these lines is to use a loupe with a short skirt, like those intended for negative/slide viewing (usually 8x-10x) and turn it backwards (eye looking through the skirt) when needed for corner viewing, etc.

Another consideration is price. There are lots of great, really expensive multi-element loupes out there and they are worth the price. A cheap loupe that is only sharp in the center is more than a PITA to use. That said, I have a single-element aspheric acrylic magnifier that works superbly and didn't cost an arm and a leg (it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Pocke.../dp/B004KNS2BW ).

Keep in mind, that you can use a loupe and a pair of glasses in combination. I do it all the time: 3 diopter readers and then my 5x loupe.

Hope all this helps,

Doremus

There is an old rule with a bit of truth to it: confirm focus using a loupe that has more power than the intended enlargement ratio. Two times enlargement - use a 4x loupe. Four times enlargement - use a 6x loupe ... and so on.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    There is an old rule with a bit of truth to it: confirm focus using a loupe that has more power than the intended enlargement ratio. Two times enlargement - use a 4x loupe. Four times enlargement - use a 6x loupe ... and so on.
    But at some point the mag. Is so great the gg grain becomes a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Interesting to hear from someone who opted for close up cataract replacement. I presume you need glasses for far away. Has this been a good choice for you?
    One thing you might consider is a +4 power monocle, which will let you see about 4 inches away. Something like this
    https://www.nearsights.com/collectio...le-black-matte
    Regarding close-up correction-I was previously nearsighted and as I became presbyopic I would get to work, take my glasses off, and perform my duties. That involves screen time, paperwork, and other tasks performed at close distance. Didn’t see much reason to change what I had been doing for 50 years and has worked out well. Still get magnifiers out for close work.
    The monocle looks small and light weight.

Ken

When i had my cataracts done I had infinity focus as a replacement (like most) despite having spent my lifetime in your situation. I had and still have a rotten time close up and still use the glasses for infinity as I have astigmatism as well. I often wonder as I try to fix plumbing from below without plumbers glasses why did I not do as you did.
    In any case the 4X monocle works well and I find both for enlarging and large format being in best focus is in focus, same as for medium format screens and 35mm. Loupes not necessarily required but sometines useful

Doesn't anyone focus on the aerial image any longer? Or don't those with cameras today even know what it is? It has always been the easiest method of producing the sharpest image.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Doesn't anyone focus on the aerial image any longer? Or don't those with cameras today even know what it is? It has always been the easiest method of producing the sharpest image.
    If it was maybe all of the camera manufacturers of all formats would supply their cameras for aerial imaging today.

Drew Wiley

That Edmunds magnifier is wonderful for a light box, and if it's the one with one side cut out, it's meant for spotting use too. I was using mine this morning. But it's much too big to be practical for groundglass focus. My favorite is the Peak/Horseman/Nikon 7x model, variously branded.