Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: To loupe or not to loupe?

Re: To loupe or not to loupe?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I just got a new 4x5 with GG and fresnel. Are there considerations with focusing due to the fresnel?
    Not really, your loupe should first be focused on the grain side of the gg. Then the grooves in a fresnel are not a problem. Also on fresnel mounted to the top of the gg the fresnel can usually be removed, if necessary.

If you use a viewing or focusing aid like a reflex viewer or a focus/metering bellows a fresnel is required.

Drew Wiley

I don't have problem with any of my GG grain even at 10X loupe magnification. I find around 7X ideal for both 4x5 and 8x10 usage. But even 2X would be annoying if a fresnel was present.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Not really, your loupe should first be focused on the grain side of the gg. Then the grooves in a fresnel are not a problem. Also on fresnel mounted to the top of the gg the fresnel can usually be removed, if necessary.

If you use a viewing or focusing aid like a reflex viewer or a focus/metering bellows a fresnel is required.
    I don’t think you’re going to talk anybody who doesn’t like them into a fresnel. Are you selling them or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I don’t think you’re going to talk anybody who doesn’t like them into a fresnel. Are you selling them or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. I use them and like them. Ever since I used my first SLR that didn’t have one.

The only things that I sell now are Billingham bags from the UK and only in GA, AL and TN.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 3-Mar-2020 at 18:49.

Drew Wiley

Here we go loop de loop, just like stunt pilots. If all goes wrong, tighten your flying goggles, hope you can see through them (preferably without a fresnel attatched), jump, and hope your chute opens. Aim your landing atop the nearest person under a darkcloth in the meadow below.

Why loupe? What loupe? How . . .?

I use a loup because my best corrected vision is something like 20/150 in one eye. The other eye has no useful vision at all. An assistive appliance of some sort is a necessity for me.

In the past, I have used a pair of very strong, prescription reading glasses . . . .think Mr. McGoo. Another option has been a jeweler's or watchmaker's "MagniVisor" headset. Both work but are cumbersome in practical use. I now use a premium brand loupe on a neck cord. Seems to work best for me.

In use, the loupe hangs from my neck and is always there when needed. For focusing it is used in the conventional way. When manipulating the shutter controls it is reversed to be a close up magnifier.

That is the how, what and why of using a loupe in my work.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 16-Mar-2020 at 12:07.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Have picked up a couple of loupes to learn with. Both have a a pair of posts or lugs on the barrel to secure a cord for around the neck. Cord is gone. Any suggestions for a replacement material? I was a lousy boy scout so would appreciate knot suggestions too.

Thanks,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    Have picked up a couple of loupes to learn with. Both have a a pair of posts or lugs on the barrel to secure a cord for around the neck. Cord is gone. Any suggestions for a replacement material? I was a lousy boy scout so would appreciate knot suggestions too.

Thanks,

A hobby shop for material, square knot to join then ends together.

Ken

Leather boot lace

Nice round shoe lace

"550 Paracord"

Knots and how to tie them are easy to find on YouTube and Wikipedia.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post

Thanks,

Ken
    Rock climbing cord 2mm or wider
    https://www.edelrid.com/us/sports/ac...-sp-2-0mm.html
    is an example. Will never break or wear out for sure. Best thing is that it comes in really bright colors, so you're not about to leave your loupe behind.