Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pondering a 5x12...

Re: Pondering a 5x12...

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I'm really enjoying reading it.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure this is the camera at Igor's, and it sold. Which is fine - it's way too rich for my blood. I'm looking at an odd-sized camera that can be reduced down to 5x12 for less than $500. Which is still too rich for my blood. Which is why I'm considering building one.

Colin, absolutely, I want to talk with you! I'll PM you.

I really like the aspect ratio of the 5x12, and think it's large enough to stand alone on the wall (FWIW, I plan to contact print 5x7 as well). Again, I keep waffling between whether I want to scratch-build, or modify. Hmm...

Thanks everyone.
    Scott

If you feel up to it building an extension back for a 5x7 shouldn't be that complex. You'll have problems with very wide lenses because of the added depth but that's about it. Ignoring weight etc. Just think about a sloping sided box attached to the back end. Holders are going to be the expensive bit no matter what.

Scott,
    I also shoot 5x12 and love the format. AWB also makes holders for this format as does S&S, but neither one is cheap new. Photowarehouse no longer cuts film. I get my film from the yearly Ilford order.

As an exercise, and it won't cost you a thing, why not mask your 4X5 to 2X5 and burn some film at that ratio. Make some good enlargements to the designated 5X12 and matt and frame them. Stare at them a while and see if you are either more or less excited by the format.

I lusted over 5x12 for some time. Along the way I ran into some 4x10 holders and decided to make a 4x10 camera. This was easily accomplished by cutting down the back of an old 8x10 and building a box to which it is attached. The 165 Angulon was originally mounted in a drilled out plastic sewer cap which threaded onto a piece of sewer pipe threaded for it. This worked, although it was not ideal. Then I ran into a focusing mount from a large Durst enlarger. This has replaced the sewer cap and works very well.

I disagree with those who say that 4x10 is too small for a contact print. I still use a 6x17cm Fuji and images with it always attract more attention, and sales, than many of the larger images, certainly more than more common formats such as 8x10 and 11x14.

That camera along with my home made 4x10 are now complemented by my new to me Korona 7x17 which I just acquired. I won't reveal the price, but the entire kit with holders, lens, contact frame, camera and case was near its original selling price and is pristine. The last negative printed in the frame was 1947, and I also have that.

I no longer am searching for a 5x12 as I think my arsenal is now pretty complete.

Jim, congrats on getting the 7x17! Sounds like a great find! Someday...

And I agree that a 4x10 can look great on the wall. Even an 11x14 can look "too small" if the wall is large and the viewing distance is far. 5x12 has 50% more area than a 4x10, but in most cases, this does not necessarily translate into a significant increase in size. The viewing distance for a 4x10 and a 5x12 is pretty close. But 7x17 is twice the area of 5x12...aaaaaaah!

Vaughn

I see there is some 5x12 PL100 for sale on ebay here (and lots of other hard to find sizes): http://stores.ebay.com/stuffmore-sales

I have been away on vacation in the Pacific northwest for the past two weeks and for the most part avoided the internet and I just stumbled on this thread.

We (S&S) made a batch of (20) 5X12 holders a few years ago. The impetus was Tilman Crane who had just acquired a 5X12 camera but needed some holders. As I recall Tilman purchased five of the holders, and I subsequently sold some more to others, but I still have a few on hand as of right now, though someone just purchased one. The original batch was made to the exact specifications of a 5X12 Korona holder that Tilman provided me.

In spite of the beauty of this format, which I seriously considered adopting myself, interest in it is very low (based on S&S sales) compared to 7X17, 8X20, 11X14 and 12X20. Nevertheless we will probably make another batch of the holders, with a few improvements we have incorporated into the other sizes, sometime later this year.

Sandy

It is the format that I'm currently considering. Lenses are no problem. Cameras... well it is possible to get canham or shen hao. Film holders and film, I guess acquiring both are plausible. Now I just need to convince myself that it wouldn't be a foolish purchase compared to 10x8 which I regard as too square most of the time....

Susie

Hi guys. I recently bought a Korona 5x12 from Igor along with 2 DDS. It seems ideal for my needs although if my plan for rebuilding the rear standard of one of my Linhofs comes about, the camera might go back on the market! A 5x12 Kardan Color, to me, would be better. My other panoramic plan is to extend a Kodak all-metal view to 8x20. Before anyone starts to fret though, it would need a total rebuild before it took any pictures again anyway, but comparing the two, the smaller format is more intimate.