Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat HD or in Glycol?

Pyrocat HD or in Glycol?

Since I'm doing some 'spirimenting with developers, what is the difference between the two? Which one would work best for rotary processing? Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Pyrocat HD or in Glycol?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Since I'm doing some 'spirimenting with developers, what is the difference between the two? Which one would work best for rotary processing? Thanks!
    The difference is only in shelf life of the Stock A solution. Pyrocat-HD in water has a shelf life of 8-12 months in partially full bottles. The shelf life of Pyrocat-HD in glycol is several years, at least 3+.

Pyrocat-MC, which is only available in glycol, is an entirely different developer in that the seconary reducer is metol rather than phenidone and it also contains ascorbic acid to reduce oxidation. The stain, which is orange/brown in comparision to the brown stain of Pyrocat-HD, gives greater UV blocking. It also gives greater acutance in rotary development than -HD. It is my choice for rotary development, especially for alternative processes where development times are very long since proportional stain is high and B+F stain is very low.

Sandy King

Thanks Sandy!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Good information, Sandy...do you know the shelf life of part B? Is it the same as part A in water, or does it go off sooner (and how does one know)?
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castles View Post
    Good information, Sandy...do you know the shelf life of part B? Is it the same as part A in water, or does it go off sooner (and how does one know)?
    Mike,

The shelf life of Part B, which is a 75% potassium carbonate solution, is several years if mixed in distilled water. Part B is the same for both Pyrocat-HD and Pyrocat-MC.

Sandy

Part B last indefinately. As far as mixing up part A I, only use distilled water as I go through 500ml in about 5 months.

Thank You Sandy, was hoping to hear that. Always distilled water, but have been thinking of giving the glycol a go (after reading your comment about -MC, may just give it a go).
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

The other staining developer that works well in this type of sitation is Rollo Pyro. It mixes with water so you dont have to worry about different versions. Give Bostick and Sullivan or Photographer's Formulary a call before making any decisions.

steve simmons

Thanks for the info, Sandy. I have been getting excellent results using HD in Glycol for my FP4 with the JOBO CPP2/3010 combination. I may give the MC a try to compare acutance.

Steve, isn't Rollo Pyro a different animal with respect to stain color and, for that reason, may have some significant printing ramifications?

Rollo Pyro is a variation of PMKspecifically designed for roller processing.

steve