Several years back when I was in art school, I went through a period of experimenting with paper negatives. I had a classic Ansco 3A folding camera and a large supply of really old 8x10 single-weight FB paper which I cut down in the darkroom. This meant I had to change "film" after every shot. When I got my first 5x7 camera I tried that size too. The paper I used was Kodak Panalure and I still have about half a box of 500 dated 1981. I got fairly good at working out the exposure times and got some good negatives. Negatives came out soft and lower-contrast if I remember correctly (especially with the dirty Ansco lens!). Think pictoralist. I contact printed them wet (often right out of the final rinse after processing) and squeegeed the wet neg and printing paper on a sheet of glass under the enlarger to remove any air bubbles. I had fun with this process, but my photo classmates and professors did not care for it, and as I became more serious with the use of film (5x7) I gave up the fight and moved on. I may yet resurrect this art and attempt some portraits.

Since this was old FB paper I don't know what is available now in single-weight. I had no problem with watermarking with this particular paper. RC experiments were not promising. Another thing to think about is that the paper was not panchromatic and blues were rendered white or clear.

I hope some of you find this ramble useful. :*)