Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eloquent Nude/Edward Weston and Charis Wilson

Eloquent Nude/Edward Weston and Charis Wilson

Last evening I attended a screening of Eloquent Nude, a documentary film on the love and legacy of Edward Weston and Charis Wilson. It was, in my opinion, a fine blending of still images, voice and acting. I must admit to being a bit apprehensive as to what to expect, but director Ian McCluskey and his production crew did a fine job.

Charis, at 93, was in attendance and sharp and witty as ever. There was a brief question and answer session with her after the film. This is not a film devoted to the life and work of Edward Weston, but rather of the relationship of these two individuals and the work they each produced during their time together.

The film is available on DVD, and will be shown at Victoria Theatre on Fri/Sat/Sun (June 1-3) in San Francisco.

Re: Eloquent Nude/Edward Weston and Charis Wilson

Hello, Merg,

Thanks for the comments on the new film; it sounds like something I'd like very much. Do you have any contact information on where the DVD may be available?

I hope to see you if you're up this way during the summer!

Cheers,
    \donw

Hi Don, good to hear from you!

And, thank you for alerting me to this production in the first place!

The DVD is available at: www.filmbaby.com/films/1740

I hope you and the Toyo are keeping busy. I would love to pay you another visit, I'll surely be in touch.

Best,
    Merg

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Merg. Sounds like an interesting film. And, I'm glad to hear that Charis is still sharp and witty at 93.

Yes, Ralph, Charis had the audience laughing and joined us for wine and cheese after the film. Her sight is failing, but surely not the mind.

Eric Biggerstaff

Thanks Merg.

I might have to get that one. I enjoyed going to the films website and watching the various previews. Very interesting.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Thanks for the information on Filmbaby, Merg. Maybe I'll leave some hints about it come Christmas <g>.

The Toyo and I aren't hitting the forest as much as last year, as the new puppy chews up a remarkable amount of my weekend time! But, now that the basement is renovated after the flood damage, I've finally reconnected with my computer gear, and I'm learning how to print some of the chromes that have built up. It's quite the learning curve, to say the least.

Please do get in touch if you hit the Island. I'd love to hear more 'Edward' stories, and I could use a quick lesson on getting around the lack of back-tilt on the Toyo's front standard! I can do it, of course, but pretty awkwardly and inefficiently...

Cheers,
    \donw

Thanks for the movie review & link - I'm looking forward to viewing the DVD.

It seems we know so much about Ed Weston thanks to his journals and to having a writer as a wife; but his son Brett Weston is an enigma. One could only wish that he too had kept a journal of his thoughts, or at least have someone that was close to him tell his story.

Doug, I have given thought to your remark regarding Brett. Although he never put his thoughts to prose, as did his father, much has been written about Brett. Many persons have writen about him, among them Merle Armitage on the occasion of Brett's first one man exhibit in 1930. Ansel, Nancy Newhall, Dody and his own father have written of Brett's achievements. There were some fine interviews by Joan Murray, Robert Hughes and a recent book by Gerald Robinson with a chapter about Brett and his father.

What I know about Brett is that he had little use for photographers who verbalized the intent or meaning of their work. He felt the image was the complete statement. He never questioned what he was doing or why he was doing it. Photography was his passion, from an early age, and he never let anything stand in the way. His priorities in life were photography, women and cars; that is a qoute, and I heard him repeat it many times in the forty plus years that I knew him. He was the most dedicated person to anything that I have known, and his dedication was to photography and the gelatin silver print.

If you are familiar with the Art Wright film on Brett, it comes very close to capturing that dedication. As to recent writings about Brett, there is the possibility that John Wood's biography will be published if funds become available. I believe that the Brett Weston Archive is involved with this publication and I am uncertain as to the content of John's biography.

Merg, thanks very much for info on Brett and the John Woods biography. Hope it sees the light of day.

Just received the Eloquent Nude DVD. Excellent! Charis is charming & lucid, and the re-enactment scenes are well done. Highly recommended for those who appreciate the work of Ed Weston.