Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find tiny wood screws?

Re: Where to find tiny wood screws?

If screws like that are available anywhere, Tacoma Screw Products is likely to have them. Their website isn't much, but they have very helpful folks on the phone (1-800-562-8192).

Speaking from experience looking for much odder fasteners, go right to McMaster. Don't even bother messing around with anyone else (although Small Parts has a lot, they're more expensive and take longer to ship, as they only have one warehouse in FL). E.g., 15 seconds of searching the McMaster website turned up that they have 6 varieties of 2-56 x 1.5 machine screws. And if you want anything longer, you'll probably have to go to 2-56 threaded rod with two nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    ...go right to McMaster. Don't even bother messing around with anyone else ...machine screws...threaded rod with two nuts.
    While I agree McMaster should be on everyone's list of places for stuff, he's looking for wood screws, and McMaster has #2 (pan-head) up to 1/2 inch length, like anyone else who carries small wood screws.

I tried Elliott's Hardware in Plano, Texas, the end-all of hardware stores in this area, may now be a True Value store: they did not have anything that narrow. I think you are looking for a German or European concept of a small wood screw. If you find this, please email me at eviebob@tx.rr.com

Paul's idea is what I do; do not put in a longer screw unless you are certain that it will not come through to other side or weaken or split the wood. Bernie

See if you have a nearby hobby store; the kind that deal with radio controlled model airplane nuts.

The following site lists #2 wood flat head screws but 5/8" was longest I found.

Just Google "miniature tiny wood screws" and you will find a few more sites.

http://www.armorplans.com/hardware.htm

Don

(Shrek)

I got a box of #2 brass wood screws from the local hardware store known for that type of stuff, there were 96 in the only box they had so I brushed 50 years' dust off the box and paid for 100 screws ($4). Cheaper than ordering from anyone. Smaller wood screws are hard to find, metal/plastic screws used in electronics are much more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    I need some teensy-tiny wood screws, but longish. About a Number 2 screw, but inch, inch and a half long. For old view camera replacement use. Any ideas where to find them Lowes doesn't have them, local Ace hardware doesn't have them.
    Woodcrafter . . .Rocklear?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Every now and then up for auction will be a bunch of worn out wooded view camera parts. Usually the opening bid will be the winning bid. Ask the seller if they can ship it via the cheapest way possible, USPS "parcel post", I think the USPS calls it something else now. You might get lucky and get a whole bunch of small screws and miscellaneous brass parts. I once picked up a box of Improved Empire State view camera parts for only a few dollars. The wood was shot but not the brass and other metal parts.

Drew Wiley

Go McMaster if they have them. Being an industrial supplier, they tend to buy specification grade alloys, and properly describe the items. Hardware stores nowadays mostly have low-bid cheap quality, although I once ran one over 40 yrs ago that had an incredible selection, catering to machinists, mechanics, and furniture makers. Hobby shops generally carry tiny wood screws. The problem with miniature brass screws is that they have so little tensile strength; look for bronze instead, which is more a marine specialty. Most of those chain type stores sell hardware of such wretched import quality that decent English can't be used. Anything tiny and strong generally has to be steel. The reason long #2 screws are hard to find is that they tend to snap off. Can't you use some other form of joinery? For example, miniature steel or brass dowels can be epoxied in.