Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: so, do you guys consider my 6x9 to be "large format"?

Re: so, do you guys consider my 6x9 to be "large format"?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Commonly accepted definitions base large format photography on 4"x5" and larger sheet film (or the 9x12 cm metric equivalent), regardless of the style of camera being used. This is the definition we will use. We would also consider a digital back with a nominal sensor size of 4"x5" or larger to be LF, as well, regardless of technology.

This is our current definition. As far as Forum policy is concerned, it supersedes anything that was posted previously in this thread.
    That is exactly how Wikipedia sees it. Most interesting from the OP: there not a specific reference to a camera or a film format. From there it wandered from apples to pears.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Commonly accepted definitions base large format photography on 4"x5" and larger sheet film (or the 9x12 cm metric equivalent), regardless of the style of camera being used. This is the definition we will use. We would also consider a digital back with a nominal sensor size of 4"x5" or larger to be LF, as well, regardless of technology.

This is our current definition. As far as Forum policy is concerned, it supersedes anything that was posted previously in this thread.
    great to know

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I'd call it a medium format view camera, but still fair game for this forum (unlike the old f32.net forum that was strictly 4x5" and larger).
    When I got my first 4x5, in 1938, it was considered Medium Format. Time brings changes to most things.

The Mods also allow any format in the CORRECT category
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    When I got my first 4x5, in 1938, it was considered Medium Format. Time brings changes to most things.
    I didn't know the words "Large Format" were of any great significance until I joined the LFPF.

PS...as I aged and increased in girth, I slowly went from Rolleiflex to 4x5 and onward to 11x14. I found that the bigger the camera, the smaller I looked next to it.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 13-Apr-2022 at 15:55.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    By chance the first LF camera I had the opportunity to use on my own was an 8x10, so my perception of LF sizes was warped from the get-go - 4x5 has always seemed small to me.

I always thought that LF started at 4x5. That's 4x5 film. Shoot it in a shoe box, with a pin hole. It's LF. I do love that 6x9 negative I get with my Grand Dad's old Brownie Six-20!

Drew Wiley

I don't mind the subject of roll-film backs being combined with large format gear discussions; sometimes I need to carry both conventional holders and a roll-film back or two for the same 4x5 camera. But I can't realistically consider the result to be in the same category, especially once I get in the darkroom. So I'm fine with the formal forum distinction between the two, yet at the same time, allowing certain provisions for relevant comparisons and cross-applications.

I used to chuckle walking past a particular gallery in Carmel advertising big color prints from "GIANT Large Format" Hasselblad film shots.