Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Norman strobe packs query

Re: Norman strobe packs query

Henry,

I don't think Normans are the best strobes, however there is allot of nonsense on forums about their reliability. Most of the issues are user malfunctions that people won't own up to.

If I was to invest in a new system, I would look at Dynalite mainly because I am getting old and lazy. BUT since I am now shooting much of mycommercial work DSLR, I need considerably less strobe and will stick with the Normans till I get out of the business.

Michael, My retired strobes are sitting on a shelf in my studio, but I am in Chicago till July 10th. And I can't remember their designation. Both were "totaled" ie too expensive to repair, but none of the P2000 or P800 ever were totaled no matter how much we abused them.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, I am curious why switching to digital caused you not to need your strobes anymore, or at least much less than before.

I think by "considerably less strobe" he means he needs considerably less power with a small format DSLR, so still using strobes, but without the need for the big packs.

On my copy stand where my digital camera usually lives, I've got two Norman portable LH-2 heads with 19" octagonal softboxes, a 200C battery pack turned all the way down to 50 W-s, and I still need a 2-stop ND filter to keep the aperture around f:8 (yeah, I should gel the strobes rather than using a ND filter on the lens, but this is simpler for the moment).

QT,

David is right.

Two reasons why less strobe is needed. First is color. We often times lit a space just to "clean up the color" and bring it closer to a match with daylight film. DC is much better at dealing with ambient light color, because you don't end up filtering so much and dealing with reciprocity and color shifts etc. Second is depth of field. With 4x5 we needed to shoot interiors at a minimum of f22 to get enough DoF (occasionally we could get by with f16). With a FF DSLR f11 is fine ad f8 usable many times. That is like 2 stops less light needed or 4X less light or the difference between using 800ws vs. 2000ws powerpacks.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Also when you shoot more rapidly using the DSLR, you find that there is a great inconsistency between shots with the older and cheaper strobes. The idea being that with a fashion shooter popping off 20 frames per minute, the lesser strobes will vary in output and color temperature a lot, versus those shiney new $5000 Profotos which are consistent to within 1/10th of a stop and have a consitent color temp over heavy use.

I'm resurrecting this old thread in search for information about (and how to safely operate) the Norman 4000-PS pack. I have searched every which way, and cannot find any information (including manuals) about the 4000-PS. (This is the Norman pack with two connections.) Any experienced Norman users who can tell me how to safely operate, and, can I safely plug the LH4000 head (with two cables) into this pack? A note on the pack says to use with Norman series 900 lampheads only. Thanks in advance.

Do you have the 4000PS now or is this something you are considering purchasing? If you have it and it is working, you can use The LH4000 head. There are two 2000WS channels and both cables are connected. If you don't have the pack yet, or it is not working, seriously consider two Norman P2000D packs. The PS line, 2000 and 4000 were never reliable and cannot be repaired economically, if at all. The same is true for the P4000D and the 40/40.

Brent Hollister, the foremost Norman repair technician at http://hollyflash.com/ will be glad to consult with you about the best choices in used Norman equipment. Call him M-F 11:00 - 6:00 CA time at 818 892 9020.

With two P2000Ds, you have the full output of the LH4000, plus reliability and redundancy.