Thread: Airport and TSA

Smile Airport and TSA

Just got back from a trip to Montana, from boston to there! I had no prblems at all! my carry on was as follows , My camera gear bag [Kata] with digital and Hassey equipment, with Tripod attached to the Kata Bag ! My laptop bag also and it was no problem when placing it in the overhead compartment! But the only hitch was at denver had to break the tripod from bag since it was a smaller plane thats the only hitch! Had no problems with film since I sent it USPS to myself ? NOW on the way back at bozeman,Mt airport I asked the TSA agent if they or he wished to hand Inspect my camera gear and was ASKED if there was film in the bag and if so was it rated at 800 iso or higher, which in my case there was none: So as for film you can
    take that information and use it as you wish :

Re: Airport and TSA

Here is the TSA official position on hand inspecting film from their site. They state both that one pass will not affect 800 ASA or less, and that 5 or more passes will, and allows passengers to request hand inspections as they wish. Large format sheet film is specifically mentioned for hand inspections. Basically any TSA person who gives you grief on this is being lazy. I would say print out this page, and show it to anyone who gives you grief.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1035.shtm

I just did NM to NY with Delta 3200. I asked for a hand check and the TSA guy did it with a smile. No complaints.

On the way back, coming through Newark, I saw two guys come through security with about 250 rolls of medium format Fuji color film and they were doing a hand check. Did not seem like an issue.

Rio Oso shooter

I have been finding that, in the US anyway, large format film and cameras are getting to be less of an issue. The learning curve for them has been a little steeper than I would like to have seen. Every time a LF photographer makes them do their job and they get a little
    testy about it improves all our situations. TSA hates slow lines and missed flights because they have to do something special for a photographer. They are getting the point that we are demanding that they know their jobs! Always be nice but firm!

Richard Adams

Out of curiosity, how does TSA inspect a box of sheet film?

I ran into a problem in Australia when I asked for hand inspection of a box of sheet film I was carrying. They wanted to open the box of exposed film I was carrying; they ultimately let me through just by shaking the box and listening for sounds (and a stern warning about how I might have a small weapon, knife, or razor blade in the box).

Is there a specific way to pack exposed sheet film (I just put it back into the foil pouch between the cardboard sheets when I am done) for TSA inspection?

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruderman View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does TSA inspect a box of sheet film?

I ran into a problem in Australia when I asked for hand inspection of a box of sheet film I was carrying. They wanted to open the box of exposed film I was carrying; they ultimately let me through just by shaking the box and listening for sounds (and a stern warning about how I might have a small weapon, knife, or razor blade in the box).

Is there a specific way to pack exposed sheet film (I just put it back into the foil pouch between the cardboard sheets when I am done) for TSA inspection?

Thanks,
    Robert
    I have always gotten the vapor swipe (the felt cloth), which I am told is more effective than x-ray anyway at detecting explosives. Sometimes I have had to push a little, but the printed out page from my reply above has backed me up well in those situations.

Though it's been a while since I last flew, I've never had any problem with getting hand inspections of film (MF) in the States. However, I put all film in a gallon Ziploc and ALWAYS include at least one roll of Delta 3200.

You might get away with this in the States, but elsewhere...

In 2000, I was ordered to put my film on the belt in London.
    The lady told me to either put it through the scanner or forget flying home.
    That's why I got it developed at a pro lab in the UK.

The bottom line seems to be that here in the US, the security folks don't know their own rules so print them out. I had a guy tell me I couldn't fly with a hip flask a couple of years ago. Silly individual. His boss and the rules said otherwise.

I put my film on the x-ray belt and don't worry about it. I've film go through as much as 10 times, with no image degradation. Hand checking is a waste of my time as well as the TSA inspectors time.