Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad batches of Ilford FP4?

Bad batches of Ilford FP4?

Whoa,

I've just had a bad experience with a box of 8x10 FP4 (expires 2008)

Just processed it and this stuff has scratches all over it. lots of 2"-3" swirly ones - sometimes two or three parallel sets of scratches. some roughly foll wing the longest dimension of the film some not.

It's quite bizarre.

Last few days I processed a whole batch of 50 sheets of Efke 100 - which as I'm sure we all know is more than a little prone to scratches. But hardly a one. I did one batch after the FP4 today and it's also just fine.

Both the FP4 and Efke were all exposed over the same couple of days, using the same batch of holders. All processed in the same set-up - Jobo 8x10 tube on a jobo processor. Washed the same way.

I can only figure it has to be the film.

Anyone else come across this?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: Bad batches of Ilford FP4?

Tim - it would help in sorting this out if you could post the lot number from the box.

08afm1c01/07-1 may 2008
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Why not pull a sheet from the box and check it out? If it's bad, Ilford will replace it; if it's not, then you've got a problem (which I doubt from what you've said above).

Ken - unfortunately all the sheets are shot and processed, otherwise I would have given that a try

And this is now beyond weird... I just looked more closely at a couple of sheets and they have two or three fingerprints in the image areas that have survived the processing. Now, first, these are in areas where I wouldn't normally touch the film - loading or unloading.

And secondly, I know how to read a fingerprint (I processed enough of them at one time) - and these ain't mine! As I'm the only person who has touched this film, from opening the sealed box to loading, unloading and processing it, there's only one place it can have come from.

I am (was...) a big Ilford supporter, but this is definitely a wake up call.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    Ken - unfortunately all the sheets are shot and processed, otherwise I would have given that a try
    Ah, how unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    And this is now beyond weird... I just looked more closely at a couple of sheets and they have two or three fingerprints in the image areas that have survived the processing. Now, first, these are in areas where I wouldn't normally touch the film - loading or unloading.

And secondly, I know how to read a fingerprint (I processed enough of them at one time) - and these ain't mine! As I'm the only person who has touched this film, from opening the sealed box to loading, unloading and processing it, there's only one place it can have come from.

I am (was...) a big Ilford supporter, but this is definitely a wake up call.
    That is weird! I wonder if another customer opened the box, handled the film and returned it? Doubtful, since in my experience, film is generally not returnable. Regardless, I would contact either the store, or Ilford.

Simon would probably be very interested in helping out as well. After all, Ilford does pride themselves on good customer service. While you can't recover your time, you may be able to get a new box of film, and that's at least something.

Ilford have acted like absolute tossers in the U.K. and have total disregard for the L.F. community here (basically, there ain't enough of us to matter). I don't doubt that it's the fault of Ilford, buy I wish you luck getting anywhere with them. They are now accountants and they wouldn't even know how to set up a field camera.
    The future lies in the East!
    Pete.

Tim,

Why don't you post this on the Ilford forum? Perhaps someone who has used that same production run will have something to say and I'm sure Mother Ilford monitors whats going on on thier own site.

FWIW the last box of Ilford FP-4+ that I shot gave me no problems,but I've got a box of HP-5+ thawing out today (gulp!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post

FWIW the last box of Ilford FP-4+ that I shot gave me no problems,but I've got a box of HP-5+ thawing out today (gulp!)
    well I'd never had a problem with FP4 before either...

and I just checked some HP5 I shot a week ago - same holders same processing - no problem...

I've never had a problem with FP4 or HP5. I hope the stuff I just ordered is okay. I'll do a quick test when it arrives.