Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrafine ULF film?

Question Ultrafine ULF film?

Has anyone bought Ultrafine sheet film from Photowarehouse lately, especially in ULF sizes?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

multiplex

Re: Ultrafine ULF film?

hi john

i spoke with them yesterday -
    and i don't think they have any film
    in ulf sizes ( at least the stuff they used to cut off the master rolls ) ..
    from what i understand, they are still trying to find something to
    buy in bulk and cut down, but they haven't found a film that compares to
    what they were selling before ( ilford ) ...

john

Thanks john!

Photowarehouse provided great products in the past---good film cut to any size format and thier prices were very reasonable. With J and C out of business I'd feel a lot better if there was at least one other alternative supplier in the ULF market.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Thanks john!

Photowarehouse provided great products in the past---good film cut to any size format and thier prices were very reasonable. With J and C out of business I'd feel a lot better if there was at least one other alternative supplier in the ULF market.
    i couldn't agree with you more john!

i think the problem is that the companies that are supplying master rolls
    are eastern european companies, and the quality of the film is not the same
    as what they had been used to from ilford. too bad they can't be assured
    that if "they buy the rolls to cut people will buy it" even though it isn't
    ilford or kodak. a lot of people have been using an really like the eastern european
    films ... i can only imagine how much a master roll ( or 2 ) might cost,
    so it is a pretty big gamble for them if they buy them ... and a really big problem
    if people decide after one or 2 purchases that they don't like it ...

john

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Thanks john!

Photowarehouse acquired out of date film from the previous owners of Ilford
    at scrap prices and found a great niche to cut and packaged this film. Was a short term one shot deal that will never happen again because the new owners of Ilford are running their business more intelligently to mitigate waste (a very good thing) and they have absolutely zero interest in playing the ULF sheet film game at retail. They had a prior opportunity to do the TMY deal and passed.

There is Digitaltruth online that is one additional option for Efke that I would like to hear if anyone else has used them. Maybe the next time quality ULF film becomes available folks will seize the opportunity and make some purchases. There is a core group of folks that actually do reach for their wallets and then there are many others than complain and whine about the situation while talking a big game and then buy a box or two of film over a year over a year's time.

Cheers!

Why not use freestyle? They offer great customer service and fast delievery.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Photowarehouse acquired out of date film from the previous owners of Ilford
    at scrap prices and found a great niche to cut and packaged this film.

Cheers!

Cheers yourself, mate.

Not quite the situation as per Simon of present-day Ilford -- Ilford sold their over-production (due to labour union requirements)...not outdated scrap...to be relabled by Photowarehouse, Freestyle, etc..

Vaughn

Scott,

I buy a lot of stuff (Arista .edu Ultra) from Freestyle, but I like the idea of a redundant supply chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Cheers yourself, mate.

Not quite the situation as per Simon of present-day Ilford -- Ilford sold their over-production (due to labour union requirements)...not outdated scrap...to be relabled by Photowarehouse, Freestyle, etc..

Vaughn
    One can call it what they want but here are what we do know. After cutting and packaging, the Photowarehouse film was a fraction of what Ilford film sold for. I am sure that at the time Ilford was smart enough to not purposefully cut off their own nose desipte their face in an already saturated market or purposefully subsudize a competitor.

My money is on the belief that they did not want the liability issues of long dated film sold with their name on the package coming back to them for replacement and decided that a discounted recenue is better than no revenue at all. That is why they maintained that the film was not theirs over and over even though we all knew that it surey was.

The second truth is that these deals will never happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    My money is on the belief that they did not want the liability issues of long dated film sold with their name on the package coming back to them for replacement and decided that a discounted recenue is better than no revenue at all. That is why they maintained that the film was not theirs over and over even though we all knew that it surey was.
    So what you are saying is that Freestyle delibertly falsified the expiry date they put on their packages. The last box of Arista 125 I have (Ilford) expires August 2007.

Granted, Photo Warehouse did not date their film (on the one box I got from them).

Instead of your guess or belief system, I will go with what the present Ilford Rep says -- that union laws of the time required that Ilford hire more workers than they needed, thus production was greater than they needed for their market share.

The excess film was sold at a little above cost to be repackaged (rather than pay workers to sit on their hands which would drive up production costs for the Ilford-branded goods). It does make sense, as you suggested to seperate the Ilford name from the re-packaged goods -- any returns would have to replaced with Ilford-boxed goods which have a higher mark-up.

Vaughn