Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEKTOL WITH AZO

DEKTOL WITH AZO

I have tried using Azo recently with Dektol (1:2/68F or 1:4) on negs developed i n PMK (or HC110). The prints have a blue tone to them. has anybody else observed this? Doesn't occur with Amidol or Edwal Platinum. Thanks

DEKTOL WITH AZO

Alan - both Bill Johnson and I noticed this with our prints at the workshop. Bill also had an Amidol print which was more neutral to just slightly warm. He also thinks that the fixer plays a part in the image tone. I've got his e-mail address if you need it.

DEKTOL WITH AZO

Yes, Agfa Neutol WA will give a rich, neutral silver tone. TRY IT.

DEKTOL WITH AZO

Alan- Sean Yates and I have both experienced the "blues" with Dektol and Azo, but evidently it is possible to alter the blue cast if you experiment with the Dektol. You may also recall at the workshop that Michael Smith said he occasionally uses Dektol with Azo to get just a bit more contrast, but somehow manages to avoid the blue color. Others seem to get a more neutral color with the Agfa developers, but I am so pleased with the Amidol I haven't tried anything else yet. Let us know your results if you have a chance to experiment.

DEKTOL WITH AZO

Although I've also experienced a blue-green tone in my limited work with Azo and Dektol, I've found that the tone is quite acceptable after selenium toning. I'll definitely try the Agfa developer though.

DEKTOL WITH AZO

Greetings,

FWIW, I too have noticed a blue black tone in AZO, but as the previous poster mentioned, selenium toning cured it. At the time, I was using Polymax-T as the developer.

Regards,

DEKTOL WITH AZO

I asked kodak the same question-they have no idea. Tried again last night using 1:1 Dektol made up with distilled water-same result. Se toning did remove blue tone effectively (1:12 2 min) as per previous responses. Tone with Dektol, after Se toning, is warmer than with Edwal developers but still very nice.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Alan

DEKTOL WITH AZO

I get the blue tone and I like it. No point rockin' that boat. :-) Besides I could never get amidol to work for me. I am sure it was something I was doing wrong but I didn't really want to take the time to figure it out.

DEKTOL WITH AZO

I tried Azo for the first time last night, and indeed, the tonal scale was great, but I got the blue-green tone in Dektol. I picked up some Neutol WA, as recommended above and will try that next, but out of curiosity, has anyone here tried Azo in Formulary BW-65 (phenidone-glycin developer), which claims to produce results similar to Amidol without the staining, cost, and short tray life?

DEKTOL WITH AZO

So after some testing, I've settled on this combo for Azo (all at 68 degrees F.): Agfa Neutol WA, 1:11, 2 minutes; Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 1:15, 3 minutes--just enough to make the blacks pop out and get a nice separation of intermediate tones.