Thread: Licensing of Images...

Licensing of Images...

greetings,

i have been approached by a company that wants to use a few of my images on supplement bottles. any suggestions as how to charge for that sort of usage?

would you suggest a one time charge - if so, what's appropriate?
    or are fees generally based on the number of the image will be printed and the duration?

thanks for any suggestions,
    scott

Re: Licensing of Images...

I'd suspect that they'll also want to use the photos for more than labels. After they print labels and packaging they'll want to advertise the stuff and make counter cards and point of sale displays. There are more uses of your pictures.

And it could get complicated in that they may want (or think they want) exclusive use which leaves you unable to sell the pictures again - maybe not. I suggest speaking with them to determine the term of use, the quantity of reproduction, and exclusivity. A good long discussion will help you figure out what to offer.

I'd then go back with a quote that satisfies whatever they've stated. At the same time have a back up plan. If they say "we want unlimited exclusive use forever" and you quote a price thats stuns them, then bring in the back up plan which might be a shorter term and non-exclusive except in the supplement business.

This "many uses" thing can get stupid real fast though so try to make it simple and affordable for them and you. Simple beats complicated everytime, IMO.

The idea being to sell them as much as they need and can afford and to keep as much for yourself for later uses. Everyone's happy that way and maybe they'll buy more later.

For guidelines, pick up a copy of the ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography...a great reference!

Paul,

I thought since they were sued for anti-trust violations, that both ASMP and APA stopped publishing rate surveys? I thought they hadn't published them in a few years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The easiest way to get a reasonable starting point is to register on gettyimages.com and alamy.com, and use their price calculators for Right Managed images to get an idea of the relevant use parameters as well as the fees charged.

Kirk...

I don't know about that, but at least guidelines and practices are available in the 6th edition (which is the one I have)...

There are some pricing examples in this edition, though...(just for-instance-s)...

FWIW, several years ago I had a couple of magazines approach me for rights to some of my Disney Hall construction images as the building was getting ready to open...a few of them were high-profile mags. I quoted $350 for one-time usage and they all balked...they were all looking for something for nothing.

Hi Scott

A couple of pertinent points:

A- you NEVER 'sell' your images as some others on here have stated (it may be only semantics, but words DO matter), you 'license' usage.

B- APA & ASMP both publish surveys that include 'fees charged', however the #s are at least three months old (that's how it's not 'anti-trust') and I doubt they'd have that specific usage you're looking for.

C- I'd suggest you license a copy of the software program called 'fotoquote', it's pretty much the defacto standard for stock image licensing. You can find the link on the www.editorialphotographers.com site, under sponsors.

All the above posters have good & valid suggestions. First thing is to get 'what, where, when, how many, how long, etc.' in writing from the firm. That's the first thing you'll need to know before you can do any research on appropriate licensing fees.

IF they don't have an agency you'll be in the position of most likely educating the client, which can get frustrating quite quickly. As Q.T. Luong states, if they are not really aware of the costs relating to image licensing you may want to steer them to Getty, etc. as well, it'll give them a framework of pricing to place your quote in perspective.

Remember, they do NOT have enough money to license 'unlimited use, forever', it's rarely worth doing this as your losing any potential future revenue.

I'd be happy to recommend a few people/resources you contact as you move forward, you can also find some listed on both the APA and the E.P. sites too.

Best

Robb Scharetg
    www.scharetgpictures.com

Robb...

Absolutely amazing photos on your site...thanks for the inspiration!

Paul

I agree with Robb, perhaps you could enter the press run amount and license duration into fotoquote which is part of the fotobiz software. It might give you a good starting point for negotiations.

Here is the link to fotobiz. It is a good program and affordable for most of us IMO.
    http://www.fotobiz.net