Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Or is this gentlemen Michael Reichman who owns Luminous landscape, one of the less accomplished professional photographers? He may really know his digital cameras and techie stuff but can't seem to pull out a decent photo from all those expensive high-tech silicon chips.

Even the photo that was intended to be provocative with the name of "lolita" is anything but sexual. It is, in fact, a dreadful photo that is not alluring. For another example look at the home page landscape photo for today (5/18/07) and you will see what Im talking about.

It must be easier to get a name when you have all kinds of money to buy the newest digital backs etc.

About every photo I have ever seen posted on the LF forum is FAR superior both technically and in content to anything that I have seen of his.

I'm not just slamming him, I have never spoken or exchanged a single word with Mr. Reichman and Im sure he is a nice enough fellow. I just dont understand how he has become such a name on the web without any obvious photographic skills?

George

Re: Is it just me?

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that he made a whole bunch of money somewhere and then decided to turn his hobby into his full-time passion

so essentially the whole Luminous Landscape site, gear and his projects etc are self funded because it's what he enjoys doing

He has the time and money to do it, so he does. I'd probably do the same if I won the lottery...

but the whole Lolita thing did seem to smack of a certain disengenius naivety

http://www.hidinginplainsight.mobi/2.../clueless.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that he made a whole bunch of money somewhere and then decided to turn his hobby into his full-time passion

so essentially the whole Luminous Landscape site, gear and his projects etc are self funded because it's what he enjoys doing

He has the time and money to do it, so he does. I'd probably do the same if I won the lottery...
    I still can't decide what made him such a high profile target by those who lack either his financial or his technological savvy or both - his fascination with digital or the fact that he actually earned his money and even more so that he earned enough to devote his time to his hobby.

If nothing else, he finances and runs his own site to enjoy and promote his own photography. He does not use it to denigrate others, or at least I've never seen him do so. He clearly doesn't need to pander to the peanut gallery.

Many of those who have nothing better to do with their time than to concern themselves with the quality of his photos and political correctness of his writings don't seem to even have a website, much less have something to show on it...
    Last edited by Marko; 18-May-2007 at 15:43.

IMO his images are, in general, much better than "average." Paul Strand he ain't -- but then who among us is? Can you name anyone else who does better color landscapes? Okay, there's David Munech and Chris Burkett, maybe even Fatili, but there ain't many others out there working in the briar patch!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Marko, Im not sure if your posts are veiled comments to my posting so I will assume they are not.

If a person has a website and heavily promotes it, than it is most certainly fair to make comments on it. "He clearly doesn't need to pander to the peanut gallery." I personally have alot of respect for the viewing audience and dont consider their opinions as peanuts.

If you hold yourself out to be an expert than it is reasonable to be treated as such.

As Ive said, he may be a great guy and Im glad he's having a good time. His photography however is in my opinion average at best. Shall I explain why? OK

Predictable composition, limited use of depth of field - either shallow or deep, limited connection with the subject/object. Looking at the photos from the amazon trip did not send me any vibe or sense of the humid, spooky, dangerous, snake infested, canoe log, howling monkey, viscous ardvark, blistering misquito infested decaying place that is the amazon. What do you think?

To use an example, look at todays photo. The composition is in the shape of an L. This shape arrests eye movement throughout the image. You have to force yourself to look at the upper right portion of the image. The most interesting part of this scene may be the subtle variations in the background. The low contrast abstract shapes within the background are lost by the extremely high contrast of the not very interesting middle ground plant. There is no foreground. Compare this to the compositional daring of who I consider as the greatest master of compostion, Tintoretto or many of Sally Manns on the edge ready to fall apart fantastic compositions.

Bill, regarding color vs black and white. To me this isnt an important distinction. If the landscape demands color than use it. If it demands black and white, use it. To repeat, there are numerous photos by the participants here on the LF forum that are absolutely some of the finest photos every shot. Who cares whether the photog is famous, a pro, a novice, gay, lesbian, transexual or blind. Greatness is what it is and has nothing to do with your name.

Perhaps this sounds harsh but believe me, its nothing compared the beating I put myself through everyday Im painting.

Well as long as he is working up to his potential I think we should give him a social promotion. When I see the photos or the graphic design or the silly writing I might cringe, but he does do some decent "real world" product news and has a few shortcut gems in his digital techniques section. It's like the Lounge on this forum -- don't visit if you don't like it.

Reichman is a regular target for ridicule and I'm not sure why. His site is a pretty good resource. Where he has biases, he's pretty up front about them (being a "shill" for Canon, for instance).

I rather like some of his photos. They're not all great, but neither are mine.

George,

If it were aimed at you, you'd know it, trust me. Speaking obliquely is definitely not my strength, generally speaking.

Reichmann's artistic value may be arguable, but there seems to be much more than that - he's been one of the early adopters of digital, in large part due to his financial abilities, and he became one of its first and most outspoken promoters on the Web.

It is very obvious that some people do not like that and are using every possible opportunity to attack him or anybody associated with him in any way, such as Allan Briot.

One of the side effects, just like with any ideologically based campaign, is that rational discussion becomes very difficult at best.

Photography is a pretty big tent. Amen.

Reichmann has created an "every man's" photo web hub, defined by real world reviews, a knowledgeable forum and accessible imagery. Strand? No. Sontag? Hardly. But it is the best source for digital capture on the web with a non elitist aesthetic that for many is attractive and attainable.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well said, Kirk.