Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Super Bright" Ground Glass

Re: "Super Bright" Ground Glass

I have the photo's on an email, and they look remarkably brighter. I don't have time to download and attach all of them, by the time I finish work I'm sure Shin will have sorted you all out with more details anyway.

I'll be waiting it out until Dave buys into an agreement with Shin, though. I'm not keen on posting my GG's across the world for the coating, and as above, there is no guarantee yet of longevity or scratch/rub-off protection.

I have invited Mr. Mido to bring some samples of his work to the View Camera conference and show them around before he gets into any type of agreement with anyone. If he can do this with any standard gg he may want to have his own business doing this for people or there will be other companies for him to talk to at the conference.

This may be an important contribution to large format and I hope he will be cautious and explore all of his options.

Mr. Mido should also keep the process secret until he applies for a patent to protect himself from the process being done by anyone else. This patent process can take a while but I think, and I am not a patent attorney, that once he applies he has some protection already.

steve simmons

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Mr. Mido... as a clarification of protocol... should we contact you directly with interest and/or suggestions... or speak through your business manager. I hesitate to post publically if it might cause a confusing situation.

Quick update, just spotted this on EBAY this morning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0932&rd=1&rd=1

The pictures are impressive, even at the small JPEG sizes. Just for comparison, Badger Graphic Sales has a Fresnel for near $80, and a Satin Snow near $10 for the Shen Hao 4x5 (plus shipping). So the Mido glass falles between those two prices.

If it really functions better than a Fresnel kit, then I would definitely be interested. Anyone thinking of getting one of these to try it out?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

re ebay ad: that's almost exactly the same as the email I got. Impressive.

I'd be curious to see how it compared to "Satin Snow". SS is very good for the money, but the "Super Bright" would have to be twice as good for it's money.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Greg, as I'm reading the original posting, this Super Bright treatment can be applied to any ground glass, including Satin Snow. So, picture Satin Snow with two to three times as much light coming through. If you're routinely using lenses of f/8 or slower, especially in conditions other than noonday sun, the combination of Satin Snow and Super Bright, compared to a plain ground glass, might easily make the difference between being able to focus critically and missing the shot -- or, to put it another way, with your existing ground glass, Super Bright is claimed to make an f/8 lens look like f/4.5 in terms of focusing image brightness (and I don't see much of a hot spot in those images). That's a BIG difference...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Forgive me for being a bit skeptical. How can you create light where there wasn't any to begin with?

I am very interested in the process, but I have questions about how the light transmission is measured. I have contacted Mido, to see if we can talk, but so far very little response, it takes a pretty good system to measure the actual light transmission through glass, using a normal spot or regular meter will not give you true readings of light transmission..

I do hope this is an improvement, I know for a fact the industry would benefit if it is, and I am very interested in talking with Mido to see if perhaps something can be worked in a partnership, it sounds like this is a process that could really benefit the true ground glass industry.

Dave

Okay, from reading the ebay advertisement and looking at the photos - here is the picture that probably most interests everyone.

If I understand correctly, the left half is a Crown/Speed Graphic Ground glass that has been treated with Mr. Mido's process. The right half is a Satin Snow Ground Glass with the top half untreated and the bottom half treated.

What I don't understand is why the Crown/Speed Graphic ground glass would respond much better to the treatment than a Satin Snow ground glass. According to Mr. Mido, the treated Crown glass is 1 stop better than the treated Satin Snow glass, and treating the Satin Snow glass only improves brightness by 2/3 stop.

2/3 stop brightness improvement is nothing to laugh at, but I'm curious as to what the nature of the process is that would lead to the improvement.

Anyone willing to guinea pig their glass and let us know the results?