Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Briot's Confession

Re: Briot's Confession

If Briot is being honest in his claim, well good for him. It's not easy to make good money today in photography, if he's doing well more power to him.

My guess from reading material on Alain Briot's site is that he made most of his sales during a period when he had a booth on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. At that time his sales were so good that he could barely keep up with production. It is only after this opportunity ended that he began to offer workshops and other forms of instruction. Of course, one of the chief selling points of the workshops is that they are given by a very successful photographer. I do not know if his limited edition prints continue to sell well, but I do notice that currently he makes a lot of effort to push either smaller prints sold at special "promotional" prices or instructional products.

He would've been dishonest if it turns out he brought in less than 2 million, since that would be the smallest amount of millions. That would mean $200,000 per year over ten years that he says he's been in business full time. He doesn't say if it is his gross or his revenue, though.

Either way, while it is certainly not jaw-dropping, it is still a rather respectable amount for a photographer in a non-metropolitan area, I think. His work is nice and pretty much in line with most other photographers in similar areas and genre, he even has a similarly non-remarkable website.

Could it be that this is what really riles some of his peers?

Eric Biggerstaff

More power to him!

While I might not like all of his work, there are some images that are very nice. If I could make what he says he has made I would stop my day job and go for it. There are several very good photographers who make a comfortable living selling images to people visiting our national parks, several own galleries close to the parks and are very good marketers. I doubt most of grand ideas about the artistic merit of their work, it is pretty and it sells; which is a great way to go.

I might not want to purchase this guys prints, or lessons, or portfolio boxes, or attend his workshops but I have to hand it to him, he is making a living doing what he loves to do - photography! Wish I could!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Thank, Brandon, for relating your personal experience with this photographer. I enjoyed several of his images on his website and wish him the best in his business and in his desire to pass on his love of photography.

It is a good thing that some of us here are not professional carpenters! The practise of "Cut first, measure later." would make for sloppy work.

Vaughn