Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro Project and Carelton Watkins

Retro Project and Carelton Watkins

Several years ago I saw a number of albumen prints by Carelton Watkins at the Harry Ranson Center at the University of Texas. I was quite blown away by the quality of the prints, both in terms of tonal control and sharpness. I was also very impressed with the openess in the deep shadows he managed to achieve, even on subjects that were obviously exposed in full sun.

Can someone point me to a good source on Watkins' technique as regards how he prepared his emulsion, its light sensitivity, and to what contrast he developed his plates? I am planning a retro type project using 20X24" format and am interested in replicating certain aspects of the look Watkins' prints.

Sandy King

Dave Karp

Re: Retro Project and Carelton Watkins

Sorry I can't help you directly, but last year the Yosemite Museum had an exhibit of mammoth plate photographs by Watkins and others. There is also a project underway to restore and to digitize the museum's collection of these old photographs. Perhaps a call to the museum might put you in touch with someone who has some detailed knowledge of Watkins's techniques.

Here is a link to the old press release regarding the exhibit: http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/news/2006/muse0711.htm

Not much there on who you might contact, but at least it's a start.

Sandy,

I suspect you are better off asking these questions on the Civil War Reenactor's Collodion Forum (http://www.cwreenactors.com/phorum/index.php). You could also try contacting Mark Osterman (http://collodion.org/). These folks might not know the answer, but would know where to look.

Sandy,

Try contacting Robert Szabo or perhaps Will Dunniway, or Wayne Pierce. They are wetplaters who may have historical info on the collodion formula used by Watkins. They did a wetplate gig together in Yosemite several years ago which I think retraced some of Watkins' journeys. Another source of such info might be John Coffer or Mark Osterman at the George Eastman house.

John Towler's 1864 manual, The Silver Sunbeam contains popular collodion formulas of the day as does Mathew Carey Lea's 1868 A Manual of Photography.

Are you about to join the Black Paw Club?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Sandy,

Are you about to join the Black Paw Club?

Joe
    I have already had enough skin stains from silver nitrate to be eligible for honorary membership in the Black Paw Club!!

Sandy King

Sandy, contact me via email. I've got a lot of info and access to more. In fact for the second edition of my book on "The History of the Conservation and Environment Movement in the United States" where I am adding an entire several hundred page section on the influence of art and photography I intend to include some never before printed Watkins plates from a stash I located.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Sandy, contact me via email. I've got a lot of info and access to more. In fact for the second edition of my book on "The History of the Conservation and Environment Movement in the United States" where I am adding an entire several hundred page section on the influence of art and photography I intend to include some never before printed Watkins plates from a stash I located.
    Hi Ted,

Thanks. I will be in touch tomorrow.

Sandy

Watkins' prints were made using the Albuman process. I saw an exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art about 98 or 99 and was amazed at the quality of his work.

steve simmons

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention http://collodion.com/ - AKA "The Black Paw Club". The forum there is an invaluable resource - unfortunately you will have to register by email before reading anything.

In my (admittedly limited) experience POP and Albumen prints are capable of a tonal reproduction that is only approached by Palladium.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    I'd like to take this opportunity to mention http://collodion.com/ - AKA "The Black Paw Club". The forum there is an invaluable resource - unfortunately you will have to register by email before reading anything.

In my (admittedly limited) experience POP and Albumen prints are capable of a tonal reproduction that is only approached by Palladium.
    You could add salted paper to that list along with POP and albumen. All have an exposure scale of around 2.5 or slightly higher. Carbon is actually capable of an even longer tonal range if you want to go there.

Sandy King