Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenswork - what do you think?

Re: Lenswork - what do you think?

This is the best issue of Lenswork that I have seen in recent years. Congratulations, Brooks.

As fine as the reproductions are, they are just too dawgone small for my failing eyes.

I think Lenswork is one of the best photography publications out there. I find little to criticize.

I've subscribed to LensWork for about 12 years. I've ended subscriptions to most of the photography magazines to which I used to subscribe and others are no longer in existence. But LensWork is one of only three I've kept. I think it's still an outstanding publication though the current issue wasn't one of my favorites. Except for the Kabuki portraits nothing else did much for me but that happens with any publication now and then. They don't run the content by me before publishing it. If they did I'm sure they wouldn't have survived anywhere near as long as they have.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I am half-way through my second one year subscription. I enjoyed many of the issues the first year, but very few the second. I can't say if it is a trend or just a temporary paucity of the subjects I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    In the latest issue, you may not care for Brooks' work, but Hiroshi Watanabe's portraits of Kabuki actors are a gem and Josef Tornick's portfolio revisiting the Hebrides in homage to Paul Strand is a really interesting project with beautiful images.
    I agree with you for the most part. I enjoyed Watanabe's portfolio. However, I really prefer to buy the magazine an issue at a time - some issues there is just too much digital, and I don't buy those.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I agree with you for the most part. I enjoyed Watanabe's portfolio. However, I really prefer to buy the magazine an issue at a time - some issues there is just too much digital, and I don't buy those.
    Kind of sad to think someone looks at the capture method to decide if a beautiful image is worthy of their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Kind of sad to think someone looks at the capture method to decide if a beautiful image is worthy of their attention.
    You are welcome to your opinion. It is obvious I look for something more in an image than you do.

I have looked at this magazine on the newstand every time that it comes out for four years. I like to support photography publications, and I always look for a reason to buy it, but I have never done so. To me, it is caught in a very old, very tired time warp.

I use to buy it at the book store but it hasn't shown up since the first of the year so, I don't miss it. I is printed very well but the content, I am not into digital and wacko images so there is little there of value for me.