Thread: Ilex and Wolly lenses?

Ilex and Wolly lenses?

Most generally, any Ilex or Wollensak lens of a given focal length has less value than a Goertz, Schneider, Rodenstock or Kodak Ektar.

I wonder why this is so?

I really doubt that the better Ilex or Wollensak LF lenses are really inferior.

Re: Ilex and Wolly lenses?

I suppose I should clarify my above question/observation. What I mean is lenses that were made in the same time frame of history. I wouldn't think of comparing a 1940's Ilex lens to a circa 2007 Schneider one, for example.

It's so people like me can afford them

Ain't so. Some Wolly's are the darlin' of soft focus 'tog's eyes and are much $ought after. Ilex in shutters are usually a bit cheaper than Ektars but we call that "a good deal" on the planet I come from!

Your generalization dosen't take into account Goerz Dogmars, which go fo a pittance, Schneider Ysarons which are routinely robbed of thier shutters for G-Claron transplants, and all the bargain basement Ektars (the ones that aren't somehow associated with Ansel Adams)

A more accurate generalization might be that Wollys and Ilexs are often under valued and can represent an attractive alternative to a lot of LFer's
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

What are the top line Wollensak lenses..the Raptars? What are the top Ilex lenses, the Paragons? just curious. I mean the "sharp" commercial lenses, not the portrait lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    What are the top line Wollensak lenses..the Raptars? What are the top Ilex lenses, the Paragons? just curious. I mean the "sharp" commercial lenses, not the portrait lenses.
    For Wollensak, probably the Pro Raptars. Those are Plasmat types similar to the Symmar or Sironar lenses of the time. dagor77 sold 165 and 210mm versions of these a while ago.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Most generally, any Ilex or Wollensak lens of a given focal length has less value than a Goertz, Schneider, Rodenstock or Kodak Ektar.

I wonder why this is so?

I really doubt that the better Ilex or Wollensak LF lenses are really inferior.
    hi gene

i don't know, wollensak lenses have always been pretty good in my book
    - kind of the underdog or the ugly cousin being american when euro-stuff is more chic.

maybe it is snobishness ?

fine with me, i like cheep and good!

with all the rage about bokeh these days,
    it seems that wollensak and ilex are eating their just desserts.

-john
    Last edited by jnantz; 7-May-2007 at 06:56.

Durn it! Y'all shut up...you're driving all the old American lens prices up as we sit here!

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Ilex and Wolly lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Durn it! Y'all shut up...you're driving all the old American lens prices up as we sit here!
    Got that right - kill this thread now! Also, don't tell anyone that the 162mm Wollensak enlarging raptar is an excellent lens for 4x5 enlargements, or that the 15 inch Wollensak Tele-Raptor is a phenominal lens, or that Ilex tessars are disgusting good, especially when you buy them used in working shutters for $50.

Now here's the last thing you never, ever tell anybody that Brown Mfg. process lenses are almost just as good as APO Ronars or RD Artars. Why if word ever got out about that, you could forget the fact that some truely excellent lenses can still be bought at well below reasonable prices.

Nope, if i had my way, we would have the moderators kill this whole tread ASAP as to protect our interests from the sadly mis-informed. Look at what happened to commercial ektars or wide field ektars - prices driven out of sight.

However....... (evil thought brewing here....)

The good news is about lens reputations is - well for example - you can sometimes buy a 135mm Rodenstock Sironar - S for less money than a 135m WF Ektar.

So if you have a plan using the above example wherein you can convince a gullible public that Ilex Tessars are somehow better than Super Symmar XLs, and people start dumping good new lenses for "great old classics" then I'm with you. Otherwise kill the tread right away.

eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?