Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are disposable cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts?

How are disposable cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts?

How are disposable cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts?
    anyone know? its for a project and i have no idea how.

Re: How are disposable cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts?

I don't know where you got the idea that Disposable cameras have "no" moving parts, but they do have "moving" parts...just enough moving parts to work. The shutter moves, the film advance moves, etc.

Actually the moveable parts are very cheap and plastic but they get recycled a few times. They get sent to a center after the film is removed and I think they just check them, sort them, and send them to be re-wrapped with new card board and sold again.

Yep,

They have moving parts, we used to receive 12.5 cents each for them when I worked in the photography store as long as we did not break them when we removed the film to process them...but they have moving parts.

Dave

Well so much for that project. Now go to your teacher and tell him or her that you don't think the disposable camera question is sufficiently challenging because everyone knows that disposable cameras have moving parts. And you might even get a higher grade if you take the initiative and suggest changing the project question to "how are 4x5 pin-hole cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    if you take the initiative and suggest changing the project question to "how are 4x5 pin-hole cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts."
    Ah, but they too have "movable" parts, as they have a door, or lid that opens to accept the film, and they have some sort of movable cover over the pinhole to regulate exposure.

If you go to a photo store where they know you, and ask they might give you a few used bodies. I got one from a store here and took it apart. I actually wanted it for the flash which I plan to use for some high speed photo experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Ah, but they too have "movable" parts, as they have a door, or lid that opens to accept the film, and they have some sort of movable cover over the pinhole to regulate exposure.
    No mechanical moving parts (as opposed to parts that move with the operator's hand) is what I had in mind but to tell the truth I gave about 5 seconds thought to my comment because it was just supposed to be humorous. I guess it wasn't.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

How about a 4x5 pinhole camera? No moving parts, unless you count your hat.

Actually, some of the recent versions of the "disposable" camera are actually cheap digital cameras hidden inside a cardboard covered plastic box. As such they are completely electronic and have no moving parts.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com