Thread: Close up metering

Close up metering

I'm finding it quite difficult to use my Pentax spot meter very close up - it se ems to work best at a minimum distance of about 1 metre - and consequently it is proving tricky to meter various close-up shots. I've tried a grey card, but dep ending upon the angle it is held, readings can vary by 2-3 f/stops. Is there a w ay to allow the meter to read closer, and would this be as simple as attaching a close-up filter - if so, what diopter? Or is there a better way?

Close up metering

Changing the focal length to focus closer also changes the effective f/stop of the lens and influences the reading. What is the problem with using it close-up? The image does not have to be in focus in order to obtain valid readings.

Close up metering

Add close up lenses to the screw fitting on the Pentax +1/+2/+3 your choice. It's a 40.5 mm size.

Close up metering

Technically, a fiber optic probe should be the ideal way of dealing with close-ups, rather than conventional meters. Gossen has such a probe available for some of their meters. Can we hear from those of you that have used FOPs as to what success they have with them?

Close up metering

To answer Julio's question, I've used a fibre optic cable for the Calcu-lite and it works perfectly well. You need to calibrate to your ground glass which is pretty easy to do. You also need to ensure no light enters through the back, which is also fairly easy to ensure. Cheers, DJ

Close up metering

With my Soligor 1 degree, Zone VI modified meter, I always take my reading from the film plane, 6" or 600' it makes no difference, what you are reading is reflected light, thats all. Regards, Pat