Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon A 360mm

Re: Fujinon A 360mm

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Kerry, the higher resale price of a few lens is due to your "future classics"
    Nah, it's all about supply and demand. Some of the lenses on my Future Classics list, that are readily available new and used, have actually gone down in price since I first published that list. Some have remained about the same and some have gone up substantially - and those are the ones that are in very limited supply.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    Nah, it's all about supply and demand. Some of the lenses on my Future Classics list, that are readily available new and used, have actually gone down in price since I first published that list. Some have remained about the same and some have gone up substantially - and those are the ones that are in very limited supply.

Kerry
    Oh, which lenses are cheaper now? I will be interested get some good and cheap lens.
    By the way, I was reading one of your articles about Rodenstock Sironar-N vs. Apo-sironar-N. Is there any difference between them (except age)?

Oh, which lenses are cheaper now? I will be interested get some good and cheap lens.
    I didn't say they were cheap, just less expensive than they once were. For example, back when I bought my 110mm Super Symmar XL, the going rate was $2289 new. I paid $1850 thanks to a $400 trade-in offer from Schneider. In spite of the currently weak US dollar, you can buy the same lens new today for $1659. Back when I bought mine, you couldn't find one used at all as they were new on the market. While there aren't a ton of them on the used market, you can find them if you look.

The 360mm Nikkor T-ED has also come down a bit in price over the years. I think it's just easier to find on the used market these days than it once was - probably thanks to eBay.

The 120mm/150mm Super Symmar HM both went down in price on the used market when the Super Symmar XL series superseded them. While they've bounced back a bit you can still find them for less now than you could back in the early to mid-1990s.

By the way, I was reading one of your articles about Rodenstock Sironar-N vs. Apo-sironar-N. Is there any difference between them (except age)?
    Not really. Obviously the ones labeled APO-Sironar-N are newer. The cosmetics are different (snazzy silver racing stripe), and the newer models probably have higher resale value. But if you're looking for the best deal, a slightly older Sironar-N MC, or better still a Caltar II-N will give you a good bang for the buck.

Kerry

I am glad that people on this board, in general, are both passionate about LF and reasonable. A hard combination to find!

Kerry, do you plan to update your future classics, or update the areas of the website that are still "under construction"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    Kerry, do you plan to update your future classics, or update the areas of the website that are still "under construction"?
    I'd love to, but I simply don't have the time right now - and probably won't until my kids are off to college. The youngest is currently in 2nd grade. So, it might be a while. I realize some of it is terribly out-of-date. I simply have too much on my plate to give it the attention it deserves. Still, I'm surprised how much traffic my LF pages continue to generate every month. Somebody must still find it interesting after all these years.

My interests have changed a bit as I'm dabbling more in ULF and black and white. I hope to eventually publish some useful articles on ULF equipment and techniques for those who might like to give it a try but are a bit intimidated by the prospect of working with such huge cameras and film. It's really not that bad, but there is a bit of a learning curve even for an old hand like me. I think others can benefit from what I've learned and hope to share the knowledge I've acquired with others who would like to make the next big leap up in format size.

Kerry

I agree with all the above - the "A" 360 is worth every penny - and a mint one is worth 1800 - Fuji won't be making the the "A" series again - they all (the 180 f9, the 240 f9, the 300 f9 and the 360 f10) are fabulous fabulous lenses. I have them all and wouldn't trade for anything ... two or three stops down and you are at the best apertures of f22 or f32, try that with a 5.6 clunker!

Don't forget the 600 and 1200 A's either .

from my tests i found that the main attraction of the 'A' lenses was their unmatched coverage / size ratio. they offer tremendous coverage in a small package... however, if you don't need the coverage, as when only shooting 4x5, i found that they offered no performance benefit over the smaller alternatives. for those that need the coverage, they are wonderful lenses, for those, there are smaller options that will perform comparably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Don't forget the 600 and 1200 A's either .
    you mean the used one Jim had in stock for only a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    I'd love to, but I simply don't have the time right now - and probably won't until my kids are off to college. The youngest is currently in 2nd grade. So, it might be a while. I realize some of it is terribly out-of-date. I simply have too much on my plate to give it the attention it deserves. Still, I'm surprised how much traffic my LF pages continue to generate every month. Somebody must still find it interesting after all these years.
    Kerry
    I did. There were just a few websites to look for information for LF lenses and cameras. The lens information was very valuable. I read it until I had it all memorized. I'm happy with my lens collection now. Thanks for having the info available Kerry, from someone who literally just searched the web for info on LF and how to get started. Cheers!
    Laurent