Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

Re: Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

That would at least be an appropriate use of the forum, rather than alienating others on it (which fandabydozy, it looks like I've accomplished singlehandedly as of today):
    Personal attacks like this against someone like John makes me ashamed to be affiliated with this site. I've learned a good bit here, but I will never return.
    The poster of the above comment believes a personal attack was made and in a melodramatic manner states he will not return. The originator of the Lounge thread does not believe he is racist, yet seems blinded to the fact that others see him as thus.

Here, an infrequent visitor, 2 years registered on the forum, and less than 16 posts to date.....states he's upset by what I've posted in one Lounge post. Yet say nothing of the racist views spouted throughout the thread. Oops - I've ignored the ignore Lounge Forum function again.

Why do the moderators let an original poster on the Lounge get away with Ad Homines attacks - on not one person, but a whole nation?

Do the moderators actually condone and approve of the diatribes and insulting opinions expressed in the lounge?

One only has to look thru the pre-2006 posts to see what off-topic posts in the legitimate sections is like.

It's possible for members to block the Lounge and it is not moderated by policy.

Has Been LF Photographer

If one is sensitive, they should stay out of places like the Lounge. That's the best way to not becoming offended.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It strikes me that at least 50% of the traffic in the lounge is from posters who contribute almost nothing else to this forum except the endless politcal/religious drivel which seems to constitute 95% of what is the "lounge". I'd like to offer a suggestion - if the software allows - I have no idea how sophisticated it is - is there any way in limiting persons postings in sub forums like the lounge such that at least 50% of what they post has to be in other forums or they cannot access the lounge? There seem to be a "usual crowd" of forum sloths who really offer little else to this community except their petty political peeves which they obviously cannot find enough friends in real life to share with. It would at least encourage them to participate in the actual purpose of the forum (i.e. sharing info etc related to large format photography) or perhaps to disappear into a more relevant site elsewhere (or they could start their own like www.howsadami.com)...

COMPARE WITH:

Re: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats so silly about it, it is a free website owned by someone who has chose to make what he states is his rules...if you don't like the rules, requirements or requests of the private owner, there is one simple solution, don't participate, period, the argument whether with or without merit has no bearing on the rules or requests of the owner, the person looking at participation is the one in charge, either you do or you don't...seems simple enough.. (By Dave Parker)

FUNNY, HOW PEOPLE CAN FEEL DIFFERENTLY ABOUT THE FREEDOM OF THIS SITE...
    What is so hard, you don't like what the owner requests, don't participate, it is a free privately owned website, I expect people to follow my wishes when they visit my home and as a person that owns several free chats systems, I expect no less when people visit them as well..if you don't want or don't like the owners wishes, then don't participate..pretty simple, there is no freedom of speech when it comes to a website.

I do find it amazing, one of the moderators, closed the other thread, and you still had to bring this subject into another thread that had nothing to do with that subject, beings your new and most of your posts are of a flash point nature, I am sure, many can figure out your motivation.

There is no freedom to a privately owned website, the owner makes the rules, the visitors abide by them, or they go somewhere else, what is so hard to understand about that? An to address the subject of this thread, I have no problems at all with the Lounge, I understand the rules, and normally don't participate in that part of the system, I am in the one in control, not those that post in the lounge..as is everyone who visits this system, the person visiting is the person in control, you can pick and choose what your read, not complicated at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    What is so hard, you don't like what the owner requests, don't participate, it is a free privately owned website,...

There is no freedom to a privately owned website, the owner makes the rules,
    Free or not, pick out one possibility and stick to it, you cannot have it both ways. Or, can you? It's a free website! Or, is it? Or, isn't it?

Freedom and Free have two entirely different meanings when it comes to websites

Do they? Oh please, let us not without further diatribes-explanations!

Come on, have you reach such a wise old age, with out understanding?

Free, means you don't have to pay to participate...

Freedom, means you have the ability to post whatever comes to your mind

Did you have to pay anything to become a member of this website? "No" hence free website.

Do you get to post what ever you want? "No" hence no freedom, you have to work within the guidelines of the private owner that set up and runs this website..

Now, that it seems in looking at your posting history, your far more interested in arguments over camera discussions, so I will put you on the ignore list.

Have a great day.

Dave

Did you say no freedom? Really? Seems, looking at your posting history you have been involved in more than one argument...
    Have a great day, you too. Ron.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Do you get to post what ever you want? "No" hence no freedom, you have to work within the guidelines of the private owner that set up and runs this website..
    There is plenty of freedom here. The threads are generally on topic and I really get the power of community when people step up and offer their knowledge. The lounge is beautiful. This is where you get to see people outside of their LF craft. Everyone is coming from a different place. Sometimes the langauge and concepts are arcane, sometimes they are direct and to the point. I'm all for free expression in the lounge. The moderators do a fine job all around. Likely the most hands off forum featuring this much access to information on what we all love to do, LF imaging.

What's the problem?