Thread: Eastman 11x14 2d..filmholder questions.

Eastman 11x14 2d..filmholder questions.

I have had this 11x14 Eastman 2d camera for a few decades, but never noticed this before. Just starting to use it more extensively.

The ground-glass back has a velvet like "seal" that the film holder rests on when inserted, unlike many other (smaller) LF cameras where the film-holder has to form a light-tight seal against wood. I wonder if this is due to the possibility that 11x14 holders being so large that there might be some minor warpage??..thus the "cushion" of the velvet helps make a seal?

I have 4 11x14 double dark slide film holders. They are all constructed the same, and look just like "scaled up" 8x10 or 4x5 holders. Now on 8x10 or 4x5 one inserts the holder and a locater ridge on the holder drops into a groove in the camera ground-glass back. This serves two purposes (as I see it), 1. it indicates to the photographer that the holder is fully inserted. 2. It helps retain the holder in the camera when you pull the dark slide.

Well, I just noticed the Eastman 11x14 2d does not have the groove. The velvet facing is smooth no groove. The holder slides in fine, but one has to stop with the locator ridge resting just outside the back. On the 11x14 holders I have this ridge is right at the edge anyway, just before the dark-slide pulls. I have used my holders and this camera with no problems this way, but I still wonder.....

My question: The Eastman 2d is a relatively "late" wooden 11x14 camera. Did it require any "special" holders in general? I believe my holders are "Eastman" brand, thus should be quite compatible, and of course they do work just fine, but the locater ridge/groove thing is confusing to me in regards this camera. Does anyone else have one of these and can comment?

Re: Eastman 11x14 2d..filmholder questions.

I think I may have discovered my problem. Upon examining the ground-glass back carefully, it seems that the "other end" of the back does have a depression under the velvet..seems that the back hardware and ground glass may have been installed reversed in position. I reversed everything and it seems to align and "seat" a holder at the proper depth. Maybe the velvet was replaced at one time, and the repair person didn't make notes.

Re: Eastman 11x14 2d..filmholder questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    I have 4 11x14 double dark slide film holders. They are all constructed the same, and look just like "scaled up" 8x10 or 4x5 holders. Now on 8x10 or 4x5 one inserts the holder and a locater ridge on the holder drops into a groove in the camera ground-glass back. This serves two purposes (as I see it), 1. it indicates to the photographer that the holder is fully inserted. 2. It helps retain the holder in the camera when you pull the dark slide.
    The ridge on the holders is called the rib-lock. It should drop firmly into a groove on the camera back. The primary purpose of the rib-lock/groove is to provide a light baffle at this end, though it also serves the secondary purposes you mention.

Sandy King