Thread: Shanghai film

Shanghai film

I recently bought some chinese film, 48 sheets for 12 pounds the only thing in english on the box is a statement that the film is ISO100, has anybody used this film? if so what developer did you use? I use Tetenal either ultrafin or ultrafin plus. any help would be really welcome

bob

Re: Shanghai film

I've been waiting to try Era or Shanghai for a while now. For the price, it's tempting. I'd be using Rodinal. I think that tones/contrast will depend on developer. I thought that a hardener could always be used to avoid curling??

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I've been waiting to try Era or Shanghai for a while now. For the price, it's tempting. I'd be using Rodinal. I think that tones/contrast will depend on developer. I thought that a hardener could always be used to avoid curling??
    In "my" experience (30 years), a hardener will cause some films to curl like scared possums. Generally speaking, a hardening fixer, or separate hardening bath will help prevent film scratches, but as to curling....best to not use hardener. Curling in film is caused by the gelatin emulsion shrinking (in drying) thus causing the film base to bend towards the emulsion side.

One can get good "tones" from just about any film, even budget choices, it is all a matter of learning the film and developer.

Thanks for the answer to my question Gene

When I develop Ortho film (notoriously thin, in fact I believe it has the film equivalent of bulimia) I develop in Rodinal, water stop, then fix, then wash in water. Then I hang it up in a 4x5 developing hanger, gently stretching it to keep it taught in the hanger. It dries flat since there is no slack to allow curling. With 35mm and medium format, I hang them from the ceiling with a bulldog clip or similar to weigh it down. They usually dry flat as well.

Maybe that's an approach that may work.

I picked up five 4x5 metal hangers for £1 total, so they've served my purposes well

Ash, from your posts I guess you're on a bit of a budget. You do know about www.retrophotographic.co.uk don't you? They have stuff like fomapan100 which is not much more than Shanghai film. Dig around on this forum- some folks use and like it a lot. (No, I don't work for them)

davidenglish

I use SP-76 EC from Stearman Press, works great 7.5 minute soaking time.