Thread: Case for Ries A100 Tripod + A250 Head

Case for Ries A100 Tripod + A250 Head

The case Ries makes is lovely, but at $240 I'm looking at alternatives. Looks like the "Calumet Extra Large Tripod Bag" ($60) or the "Calumet 48" Travel Bag" ($50) might do it. Has anyone tried this combination out? With the head mounted, it looks like it might be a close call.

Thanks!
    --A

Re: Case for Ries A100 Tripod + A250 Head

If costs are a big issue rather than purchase a single layer bag concerned that it will fit I would consider getting a heavy blanket that allows you to fold the ends inside and roll the tipod and head up in it and use velcro straps to sinch it up.

I was at a similar crossroad with my A100 and decided to purchase the Ries case at $195 a while back. I can attest to the fact that it is padded with heavy material and considerable padding. I feel that the objective in acquiring a case is to cover it up but to protect your investment in such a fine tripod. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Cheers!

Look at the Tenba TTP 46.

I have the TTP 34 and have shipped it by air many times, including one time when I watched it go flying off a baggage truck onto the tarmac after the truck made a sharp turn, and the contents have always come through okay.

The TTP 46 should be long enough for the A100+A250 (46" long internally), and it goes for about $150.

I used the Calumet bag for my Ries just for the same reasons as you stated. The bag works fine. I used my dark cloth as extra protection around the head. But! Beware of traveling by air. My head got bent by luggage carriers. It still works fine but it has a zig to the tilt blades. The Ries people say they can repair not problem but I would be out of my favorite Tri pod for a week.
    You'll also get stopped by folks thinking you are carrying a rifle.

I looked at the Ries padded case, not in person, just pictures.My question is after shooting lets say down at the beach in the sand, out in the desert in dirt, rocks and sand, or in the mountains after a rain storm where its a bit muddy, is the nice Ries case with the white padded fleece lining something you really want to stick your dirty tripod back into?I now use an A-100-2 model which is too big for the A-100 Ries case, so I found a padded nylon bag at B&H that fits it like a glove.When shooting in conditions like above I couldn't imagine throwing the dirty legs back into a nice fleece lined bag.With the padded nylon bag when I get home I just hose out the interior of the bag the same time with the tripod legs, dry everthing with a soft terry towel, and everthing is clean and ready for the next outing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    If costs are a big issue rather than purchase a single layer bag concerned that it will fit I would consider getting a heavy blanket that allows you to fold the ends inside and roll the tipod and head up in it and use velcro straps to sinch it up.

I was at a similar crossroad with my A100 and decided to purchase the Ries case at $195 a while back. I can attest to the fact that it is padded with heavy material and considerable padding. I feel that the objective in acquiring a case is to cover it up but to protect your investment in such a fine tripod. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    I looked at the Ries padded case, not in person, just pictures.My question is after shooting lets say down at the beach in the sand, out in the desert in dirt, rocks and sand, or in the mountains after a rain storm where its a bit muddy, is the nice Ries case with the white padded fleece lining something you really want to stick your dirty tripod back into?I now use an A-100-2 model which is too big for the A-100 Ries case, so I found a padded nylon bag at B&H that fits it like a glove.When shooting in conditions like above I couldn't imagine throwing the dirty legs back into a nice fleece lined bag.With the padded nylon bag when I get home I just hose out the interior of the bag the same time with the tripod legs, dry everthing with a soft terry towel, and everthing is clean and ready for the next outing.
    I absolutely have no qualms about sticking it in my Ries case whatever the conditions I use it in. That was what it was made for. Given the fact that I shoot a 35# Wisner in ULF that already take considerable time to work with I have no problem with taking a couple of minutes when I am back at the truck to turn around the metal spikes to the pads and quickly wipe off any dirt or debris from the tripod and stick it in the case for the next shot. The additional front and side padding up near the tripod head is great because I have no concerns about traveling with it in the truck bed.

But at the end of the day it is all about what works for you. I have only one objective and that is to continue to encourage all large format photographers to regularly purchase the sheet film of their choice as that contributes to the well being of the entire medium for everyone.

Cheers!

Michael, how do you like your Wisner on that A-100?I had the A-100 for a few weeks before trading up for my black C-1, but found for me with a 3 pound lens, compendium hood, and long bellows extension under any kind of moderate wind, the A-100 2 alot more comfortable.Do you use a second tripod for long bellows extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Michael, how do you like your Wisner on that A-100?I had the A-100 for a few weeks before trading up for my black C-1, but found for me with a 3 pound lens, compendium hood, and long bellows extension under any kind of moderate wind, the A-100 2 alot more comfortable.Do you use a second tripod for long bellows extension?
    To directly answer your question Chris, I find the A100 perfectly suited for my Wisner 11x14/12x20 camera up to about my 30" Doctor Germinar lens. Beyond that focal length I need an additional support member to adequately support the camera in the field. It is a double edged sword in the fact that longer focal length lenses are inherently heavier and when you get both standards out that far your instincts tell you that a bit of structural assistance in the form of an additional tripod is a necessity. It is surely a vastly different reference point in ULF as compared to 8x10 and smaller but the enormous expanse of ground glass in front of you is well worth the price of admission. Patience is one of those virtues that one learns to appreciate with this large and heavy a camera.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, guys. Don't get me wrong...if money were no object I'd have the Ries case in a shot. But until I save up for that I want to be able to carry (read: no truck) this in the best way I can....and I need something with a shoulder strap. I'd get a hard case if I were going to ship it or check it on a plane...that's not what this is for.

I'll take a look at the Tenba bags and compare with Calumet and choose something...thanks!

--A