Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Very new to LF! (not even started yet)

Re: Very new to LF! (not even started yet)

Thanks Matus, to be honest the type of photography I will be doing is going to be far different to that I have done until now. At present my style of landscape photography is to isolate a feature of the landscape and make the photo out of it, this is IMO essential for smaller print sizes to hold the viewers interest. LF has the advantage that you can print large and therefore have enough detail in the photo to lead the eye in and around the photo, not just straight towards the subject. You have to print large for this to work and you have to have the details resolved down to the tinniest amount.

I use long in landscape for compression and isolation, the stuff I will be doing will be shot in alleyways and streets where it is far easier just to walk a bit closer than it may be for landscape work! I've bought a 210mm for long (70mm is actually my most used focal length in 35mm by a long margin) and I'm looking for a 90mm for wide. The rest will be done with my feet.

Well I just phoned up and ordered a Tachihara 45BF (the chrome not tacky gold version) and I have a 210 f5.6 Caltar IIN on the way from Adorma's Ebay outlet.

It's started!

Lucky bloke!

Lucky? If I survive telling the wife then I'll be lucky... ;-)

Hi Ben, only just noticed that you are presently in the UK! There are loads of LF photographers here who would be very happy to offer help and discussion! There is even a website for our interests, here http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/. Feel free to browse and make contact. I really like your landscapes, particularly the Lakes and Skye. Keep us posted on your Jerusalem project.

Excellent!If you want to see some awesome work done with your camera, go pick up a copy of Ray McSaveny's book explorations, if you don't have it already of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Well I just phoned up and ordered a Tachihara 45BF (the chrome not tacky gold version) and I have a 210 f5.6 Caltar IIN on the way from Adorma's Ebay outlet.

It's started!

Thanks George, I'll pop in.

Just FYI, if you are planning to do a lot here in Israel you probably want to stick to 4x5. 5x7 and 8x10 are going to be harder to find here.

Ben, very nice web site, I am sure you will off and running with the camera and lens you ordered. With 210mm which is what most of the professional schools require you will want to add a wide angle later. Other than the film holders and accessories that you might already have you are good to go. What kind of scooter do you have? How will you carry the tripod?

The camera arrived today but the lens is still in transit as are the film holders, I don't have a loupe yet and the focusing cloth will be my jacket until I work out what type I need. I will buy a 90mm in a couple of months but I've maxed out the expenses this month given that I only start the project when I go out there in December.

I carry my tripod at the moment using an Op-Tech strap that goes round my back nicely when walking around, kind of gun strap like but far more comfortable. No reason why it shouldn't work on a scooter as well though I do have to rethink bags...