Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home E6 - Success!

Home E6 - Success!

Well, after my first attempt at home E6, I loaded up four sheets of my expired Provia, and set about a test: Tripod, release, shoot a nice mugho pine at a few settings to try to get a feel for processing and whether or not the film is any good. I know, I know - I should really have a lab process these to remove that variable. But where's the fun in that? Besides, my local lab doesn't do 4x5 E6, and I'm too impatient to send these out (and too cheap to pay the $5+ a sheet, plus shipping, for the work).

Anyway, turns out my temperature control on my first processing was poor. I checked temps repeatedly and frequently this time, and it turns out that heat transfer is slower than you'd intuitively think. I filled the sink with as hot of water as we have, and let the jars soak. When the sink dropped to about 40C, I dumped the water and refilled. Kept doing this until the first developer was just over the 40.5C target. I kept the sink hot even for the second developer and the blix, though I think this might be overkill - I've read that temp is only really critical on the first developer.

Anyway, I got images on all four sheets, and the one I'd expect to look best, about a half stop under the meter reading, turned out fine:

The film has a decidedly strong orange cast to it - not sure if that's a result of the three-bath processing or the expired film. VueScan does a pretty good job removing it by locking film base color. Still takes a little tweaking in PS to get the colors close, but I think that's a crappy scanner issue. Regardless, I'll play around with this film, reacquaint myself with critical exposure, and when time comes for some important shots, I'll buy some new(er) film.

For anyone considering trying this, it's not nearly as hard as you'd think.

Scott

Re: Home E6 - Success!

Good Job Scott,

It really is not that hard, once you get the routine down, looks pretty good!

Dave

Scott!! Right on cue! I live in the E6 wilderness, so I have my Tetenal 3 bath kit ready to go for my first attempt at E6 in about a couple weeks! I am so pleased that your experiment has worked; it gives me confidence that I may not end up having a disaster. I'll check the link, thanx!

Confidently Agnostic!

Looks good, though I'm sure the actual chromes tell a better story than your scan does. Right now we've still got a 4x5 E6 processor in the city, but given that they're not even carrying 4x5 film at all anymore I suspect that will be gone once their equipment breaks down or whatever. Wouldn't be a bad idea to learn the process.

Rory and Scott, it is a bit more of a pain to go through the extra steps but you will get better results with the Tetnal 6 bath kit.

Scott, Provia from 8/2005 should shoot like it is fresh if it has bee frozen. Even if just refrigerated it has a high liklihood of being ok but some color shift could be possible. If it has been sitting out ............

Okay, 6 bath for 'round 2' then...

Yeah, six bath next go 'round for me, too. Where do you get the Tetenal 6-bath? Didn't see it at Adorama/B&H/Freestyle.

Someone on nelsonfoto suggested incomplete bleaching/fixing leaving colloidal silver, causing the orange cast in the film. Following up on that one.

Guys, my apologies, you are right! I don't see it there either. I do see it all over the UK and Europe but nowhere in the US. My guess is that post 911 tightened shipping regulations have discouraged dealers from carrying it (or the Kodak 6 bath kit for that matter). It used to be that there was one chemical in the Kodak kit that required Hazmat shipping but none in that category in the Tetenal kit. It now appears that the First Developer in the Kodak 6 bath kit (likely the same for Tetenal) cannot be shipped; although I suspect if you have a hazmat shipping license you can do so but then it will cost you the receiver.

I just never thought of it as I use the kodak chemistry and buy it in bulk, just dding my needs to those of a local commercial lab every so often. I had been planning on switching to Tetenal chemistry though when my current supply of Kodak chemicals ran out because their (IIRC) bleach or fixer is 'septic system' friendly while Kodak's is not. Currently I dump all my used chemicals at the local recyling station and that is a pain.

Be sure to aerate the bleach or it will not work. A fish aquarium bubbler does fine.