Thread: Rebuild of the Century

Rebuild of the Century

Man, I just gotta do a little showin' off.
    This is a sneak preview of what I have gotten so far with my $30.00 Century View.
    So's not to load up a lot of bandwidth, here is a link http://century-camera.livejournal.com for a lot more pics and info on this, but take a look and give me some comment and criticism.

Re: Rebuild of the Century

Looks pretty classy, Randy.

Wow that's impressive. Did you have to re-fabricate any parts or hardware or did they polish up that pretty? Looks incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
    Man, I just gotta do a little showin' off.
    This is a sneak preview of what I have gotten so far with my $30.00 Century View.
    So's not to load up a lot of bandwidth, here is a link http://century-camera.livejournal.com for a lot more pics and info on this, but take a look and give me some comment and criticism.

Wow, that's really sweet Randy. Excellent work and inspiring.

Don Bryant

I think I was lucky that all the hardware was usable. I also think it will take a couple weeks to get all the rouge off and all the buff strings that I ingested out of my system. Actually, if you look close at the rear uprights, they had been butchered to allow a greater degree of tilt. Works ok and looks ok. One thing though... I am big on semantics, and as noted, this was a "rebuild" not a restore. I will leave the restorations to a more knowledgeable and capable person.

Randy:

Your rebuild looks really good, especially the brass. It looked like quite a beater when you started. I have my Grandfather's 5 x 7 Century & it's still in pretty good shape. I have cleaned up the wood but not polished the brass yet. I noticed that the drop bed has a bit of sag to it, allowing the lens standard to droop a small amount. Have you experienced this with your Century?

Also, I had a missing rear swing lock knob so I had a machine shop make a replacement. The thread on the knob was a #10-30. Standard thread pitches for #10 have been 32 & 24 for a good many years. (Just a bit of interesting info.)

Have fun shooting with it.

~Ted

That really is gorgeous so far, I wish I could do something like that!! I want to get a Calumet C1 and chrome it out

"That really is gorgeous so far, I wish I could do something like that!! I want to get a Calumet C1 and chrome it out "

LOL! And a great idea - be sure to put reflectors on each end of the rail.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Looks sweet. I was impressed even more when I read you found the two screws you lost