Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sedona, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon trip

Sedona, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon trip

I am going to Arizona and I plan on photographing in Sedona, Grand Canyon NP and Antelope Canyon. I was going to drive first to Sedona, then spend 2 days at the Grand Canyon and one day or a few hours at Antelope.
    I would appreciate any tips anyone can provide, especially about lighting and favorite times and locations to photograph in these places.
    Are there other sites worth photographing between the Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon. Do more photographers prefer the light in the Grand Canyon in the early morning or in the late afternoon?
    Many thanks,
    Mike Herring

Re: Sedona, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon trip

If you want to stay in the Grand Canyon I'd strongly suggest reservations
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Buy Laurent Martres book "Photographing the Southwest" Volume 1 and 2. It's the best investment you can make when visiting the Southwest. He has all the answers you are looking for and then some:-)
    Juergen

When I shot in the Grand Canyon I used a small monograph called "The Photograper's Guide to the Grand Canyon" by John Annerino. It is a small, easily carried book that gives a lot of useful information about shooting there. In additon to the information, the pictures in the book are very nice. His pictures give you confidence that he knows what he is talking about. I recommend it.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Herring View Post
    I am going to Arizona and I plan on photographing in Sedona, Grand Canyon NP and Antelope Canyon. I was going to drive first to Sedona, then spend 2 days at the Grand Canyon and one day or a few hours at Antelope.
    I would appreciate any tips anyone can provide, especially about lighting and favorite times and locations to photograph in these places.
    Are there other sites worth photographing between the Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon. Do more photographers prefer the light in the Grand Canyon in the early morning or in the late afternoon?
    Many thanks,
    Mike Herring

When are you going Mike? I plan on spending the last week of September and the 1st week of October in Sedona, Canyon de Chelly, Spider Rock, Antelope north and south, Monument Valley, and a few other sites.

I did exactly that. Couple of thoughts....you may want to stop in west fork - oak creek canyon...just outside of sedona. I would spend only 1 day in Grand Canyon photographing...unless there is weather. I might strongly consider Monument Valley for a day instead. And while in Page, I would hire Jackson Bridges as a photo guide and go to Canyon X instead of the upper and lower antelope. Jackson can take you to excellent places around Page as well. WELL worth the investment. Much better output.

Canyon X is now called Catherdral Canyon.
    If you want, get hold of me before you come this direction. I can take you into some back country tourists and most people never hear of, for more spectacular scenery than in some of the national parks. It helps being a local. It also gives me a chance to get out there again....and again....and again.... Hubby thinks I should have someone with me when I go out so I have ulterior motives.

Aggie, I want to get up there soon before it gets tooo hot. Are you up for a photo shoot?

Doug Dolde

Watch the weather and follow the storms if there are any or at least the clouds. The Grand Canyon can be a total waste of time on one of those hazy cloudless days.

There is little known Coal Mine Canyon about 20 miles southeast of Tuba City. Looks a bit like a mini Bryce. It's on public land but there are no rangers, fees or anything like that. You will likely have it all to yourself. Look for a windmill on the left as you drive down Highway 264. Turn left on the dirt road and you can drive right up to the rim.

On Google maps it's here http://tinyurl.com/27jtde

One of my shots from there is here:

http://www.painted-with-light.com/AC13M.html

Geos

Make a reservation for the Upper Antelope Canyon "photo tour" with http://www.antelopecanyon.com/ ASAP. Don't forget sunset photography at Grand Canyon's Desert View.