Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which enlarger

which enlarger

Odyssey Sales took over DeVere and still produce new 504 enlargers, parts, acces sories and six different heads. Regards,

which enlarger

Try calling MrCad in Croydon -020 8684 8282, e-mail sales@mrcad.co.uk or via their website www.mrcad.co.uk.

which enlarger

Thanks for the advice!!!! Popular opinion suggests I find a good used Durst (in fact I missed one by 3 days a couple of weeks ago, the dealer sold it for #1200, with a list price of over #5000!!!!!). In the meantime I am interested in the LPL enlargers but can anyone shed light on the difference between the 7452 and 7451 models ( I believe both are colour), as I have seen some examples of the 7451 advertised used at #500. Thanks again. Paul

which enlarger

Paul

Check out www.saundersphoto.com. They are known as the 4550 and 4500 in the USA respectively. The 7452/4550 has a 250w head with the dichroic or VCCE modules. The other has a 200W head and a shorter column, I think.

which enlarger

Paul, I have a LPL 7451. It is a fine enlarger and surely if you aim at colour printing or multigrade it it a very fine instrument. The Enlarger is very popular and comes under various brand-names (Jobo is one of these!). There are many models some with a thin column, don't buy one of those it shakes too much! The normal ones are fine. The difference with the Durst is that the Durst is just sturdier and gives you more option, for example if you wish to print with condensed light, for the crispy rendering of black and white, well LPL hasn't got any. Accessories are available but you might have to wait long (I've done it several times) for items to come from Japan. 7452 has longer column.

which enlarger

Another question regarding the Saunders/LPL, I understand that the 7451 has a shorter column, is it worth looking at a wall mounting bracket for this model to increase column height?? Has anyone tried wall mounting?? I have seen a 7451 with wall mounting bracket (used) for half the price of a new one. Any advice appreciated!! Regards Paul

which enlarger

I would not recommend the Saunders LPL Enlargers for the following reasons.

1. The do not always come factory aligned as advertised. Some folks have had to resort to shimming as there is no means to align the enlarger.

2. The enlarger leaks light like a sive. I purchased one and it toom me hours to fix all the leaks.

3. The fan and motor are very noisy. I found it extremely anoying in the darkroom.

My recommendation:

Buy a Durst L1200. If you can afford the Multigraph head then go for it. If not the color head is wonderful. Solid, truly factory aligned, and an incredibly precise piece of equipment.

-Bill

which enlarger

I ,LOVE the Durst, I think I was the first to say that on this thread, Having said that, there is no need to trash the LPL, any piece of equipment might have been produced on monday morning or friday afternoon! My 7541 doesn't leak (anymore than any other enlarger does, even the Durst has minute leaks but they are of no real importance) the head is ok (orthogonal I mean), I did measure it. I did say that the LPL is by no means a Durst but it is no rubbish, no Sir it isn't! The fan is noisy but not more than the most fans, as fans go. Short column will allow 50cm x 60cm printing, you don't really need more. Again, if finance permit, buy Durst (Look around, look a lot there are a lot of good prices if you are based in Europe, in Holland you can pay as little as #500 if you buy from a private seller). Otherwise LPL is fine, I've been using Durst for almost 15 years after moving to Holland and having left My Durst in Italy , I 've bought a LPL, It is OK.

which enlarger

On second thoughts Paul, having seen your comment (on another thread) concerning the cost of the house extention............Go for the Durst! Whatta Heck! Why go on the cheap if we are talking those figures for the box in which you plan to use the enlarger! Enjoy.

which enlarger

I'd just like to say to those who were unhappy with their Saunders enlarger. Why didn't you send it back to the manufacturer to correct the problem. When I was putting my 670 CXL together, I removed the column from the base. Only thing was, the chassis was on the column, at the top, so it came crashing to the floor. It was now out of alignment, so I contacted Saunders. Shipped it to them for $20.00. I could see insisting that they pay the shipping fee if it is their fault for the problem, anyway it came back perfectly aligned. I was rather pissed it was not possible for me to align it, and this has effected my decision on whether I buy Saunders for large format.