Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Estate Planning - where will your gear go?

Estate Planning - where will your gear go?

Salty raised an interesting question in the "too many lenses" thread: where will your gear go when you head off for the great darkroom (or, lightroom) in the sky? Will your offspring end up selling that rare Docter Optics Germinar for $15.00 at a garage sale, or will it end up in the trash because "nobody shoots film anymore"? Have you thought about this? Do you care?

I know my son isn't likely to appreciate the value of my camera gear, so I've been considering alternatives for distribution via my will. Have you?

Re: Estate Planning - where will your gear go?

Most of my gear is slated for donation to a local school that still teaches traditional photographic methods...my family, which is now very small really has no interest in the equipment. The photographs, slides and negs area another story, they will be left to my wife, if I am first to go, if not they will be left to a local museum that hopefully will use them as a display on the merits and techniques of the traditional photographic methods.

Dave

I'm still young (I turn 20 this year).

If I die in a freak accident, dying before my time, all that rubbish - almost all my gear will go to a photographer, who happens to be my best friend.

She'll get first-dibs on a few bits, and depending on how much I have, and all that, maybe some will go to others I've met through photography forums who have been generous to me.

That is, unless i end up with kids or a spouse who loves photography. Either way Lauren (best friend) will get some of the kit. Anyone else can fight over the rest.

In the unlikely event Lauren and I no longer talk, or she's off making cyanotypes in the clouds, then I'll probably leave it to a relative with a list of values to stick it on an auction site and raise money to erect a huge monument in my honour..err... raise money for a charity (if I died from something there is a charity for) and for spouse/kids/whatever.

That's my thoughts anyway. I don't really plan on dying anytime soon though.

Anything of historical significance that CAN'T be used will go to a museum or a private collector. I'd hate to see something that can be used turn to dust.

Why should it go somewhere? I'm not going anywhere...

mjs
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Ralph,

Interesting question. Not one that I want to dwell on very long but. But, you are correct, many of us have a geat deal invested in equipment, especially those that do this for a living. My wife and I haven't discussed it directly bu tI think I will tell her to call Jim Andracki and sell the stuff to him as a package. Some of the studio andsarkroom equipment may bring less than on the open market but lenses, cameras, etc. will get a fair price. I know Jim buy's photographer's estates so that's my approach.

I want it burnt up with me. Nobody has ever photographed hell before ;-)

Mine will be split between my wife who also happens to be a LF photographer and the rest will be offered to my best photo buddy. What he doesn't want will be offered for sale on eBay with the proceeds going to the estate.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

To whoever buys it in an estate sale. I'm sure my wife can get a few bucks for it all. Personally I'm not going to worry about it.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

In fact, I'd like for a few items to go really cheap.. to someone in their late teens on a tight budget. Someone like me at the age I'm currently at.

Of course, finding another person like me is gonna be bloody difficult!

I think I'd want to be buried with it... Really, though... I might consider having it donated to a reputable school like ICP or something. I'm not big on the whole concept of charitable contributions (from a macroeconomics standpoint), but at least that way I'd know it would be used.

--A