Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Sheds----a lost architecture?

Bicycle Sheds----a lost architecture?

At least in Fresno, they are. I've been out trying to capture on 127 film (don't ask!) the places I remember when growing up. One trophy the 'got away' from my Brownie Reflex weapon of choice is the bicycle shed at my first elementary school. It was a lovely green structure built of timber and roofed with (with what? my memory fails me. Perhaps asphalt shingles?Corrugated metal?) It was important because when we would be old enough to ride our bikes to school (2nd Grade? 3rd Grade?) we'd be able to park our steeds under the protective covering---a subject worthy of a 1st grader's contemplation if ever there was!.

I'm wondering if you know of any bicycle sheds in your area worth photographing? Or have they pretty much been eliminated from the landscape?

Cheers!
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 22-Mar-2007 at 08:54. Reason: spelling error---oops!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Bicycle Sheds----a lost architecture?

back in primary school we had more modern lockups - huge metal spindles with the typical metal frames sticking out, for wedging the tyre into. Unfortunately there weren't many on the two spindles, and kids rode furiously into school to get there early enough for a place on the 'cool' one.

The school has since been closed by the council and I'm not sure the fate of the site

I've never seen such a thing! We just had the typical "A" shaped bike racks where you lock your front tire.

We never had such fancy stuff. Pile the bikes beside the second wing of the school, and if it rains, too bad.
    juan

Terence

I lament the loss of one of my elementary schools in Somerville, MA. It had winding, wood stair cases that spiralled up three stories, murals of the medieval unicorn tapestries in the hallways, a huge mural in the principal's office, of Washington crossing the Delware, and my favorite part, the cloak rooms at the back of each classroom. They had tall windows that stretched up to the 12' or 13' ceilings, wood paneling, a wooden bunch running down one side, with wood pegs running down the opposite side.

Ironically, the building was fully renovated just before it was demolished to make way for a new prison-looking elemntary school.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I've only attended industrial-type elementary schools.

Welcome to the education factory. You will be educated. What we are doing is education. Do not be creative. Do not be intelligent. You will submit and obey.

John, we didn't have shelters for our bikes just the galvanized bike rack subject to the elements. In the rain they got wet, in the sun they got HOT and you didn't sit on the seat. I applaud your choice in format.

Having gone past the school on the way to the gym, I looked out for the bike spindle/rack things. They're tiny.

Funny how perspective alters with age

Ours were left on the edge of the playground. no protection from wind/rain

We walked to school. It was a Catholic school. The nuns' theory was the greater the hardship the better for your immortal soul.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    We walked to school. It was a Catholic school. The nuns' theory was the greater the hardship the better for your immortal soul.
    Same here. Navy bootcamp had nothing on Sister Eldephonse.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.