Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80mm Super Symmar- SN's to avoid

80mm Super Symmar- SN's to avoid

Does anybody have any information pertaining to which serial numbers to avoid when purchasing a used Schneider 80mm Super Symmar XL- Jim at MPEX got me started looking at the Schneideroptic website which provides serial numbers for their lenses up through April of 2000 which is pretty close to when the first 80mm SSXL's were introduced. I could gather from that data that Schneider produces somewhere between 32,000 and 40,000 numbered items per year but would need to know what year they were reliably making these lenses correctly to extrapolate. Im in the market for one of these lenses and would appreciate any info you, the community, has.

Re: 80mm Super Symmar- SN's to avoid

This problem with the 80mm is an over-rated problem in my opinion. In the first place, there was nothing wrong with the photographs made with the lens. IIRC the problem was that when focusing at the widest aperture (f4.5) the image appeared slightly fuzzy. You could stop down to f5.6 (the widest aperture on most short lenses) and the problem disappeared. Not that you would want to spend $1500 for a lens on which the widest aperture wasn't usable for focusing, just that it wasn't exactly a fatal problem. Second, the problem such as it was appeared only with the first batch of this lens that Schneider produced. When the problem was discovered and fixed Schneider offered to replace any lenses that had the problem at no cost. One would assume that back then most owners of lenses that had the problem accepted the offer. So it seems to me relatively unlikely that there are a lot of lenses out there that still have the problem. But best of all, just buy from a reputable dealer with a right to return, it will take only a couple minutes of testing the lens to determine whether it has the problem, and if it does just return the lens. Or better yet, buy from someone like Jim at MidWest and he or someone like him can tell you in advance whether the lens has the problem.

All of the above is from memory (and an aging memory at that) back when I bought my 80mm lens about five or six years ago. I think it's basically accurate but if not someone can correct me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

That may all be true, but even the Gray Market price on a new lens from Badger Graphic is $1645; the new Schneider USA price through B&H is $2040. That is a bit steep for many of us. Many of us if possible, would prefer to purchase a lens for a bit less in mint or near mint condition that is not a time bomb.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

I bought one of the early 80mm lenses that had the problem. Brain is incorrect when he says the problem was over rated. It certainly was not. These early lenses are totally useless. What was happening was that the coating on the inside of the lens was slowly evaporating with time leaving a hazy appearance when looking into the lens. When I first saw it in my lens I thought it had fungus growth and so did the retailer that I bought it from. They cleaned it, and then six months later it re appeared. This rendered the lens useless no matter what aperature or focus.

To cut the story short, I approached Schneider about the problem. They told me what the problem was, replaced the lens immediately - with apologies - and freighted me a nice Schnieder 6x loupe as compensation. I must say the Schneider were superb at fixing this issue. When a manufacturer has a problem and they fix it with no if's or but's, then I support them because they supported me.

But I must say that I agree with Brain in that it is unlikely that any of these faulty 80mm lenses are still in the market place. I think years ago they would have been all replaced by Schneider. The problem is quite obvious when you look into the lens. If you see a crystal clear lens then it is fine. The replacement I got from Schneider for many years now is perfectly OK.

My advice if buying a second hand 80mm SS XL have one good look into the lens. If it is clear then it is not one from the early bad batch - it will be perfectly OK.

It would seem that if Schneider was aware of the problem they should have contacted all owners of the lens that had registered with them. The problem should have been explained to the owners and procedures spelled out for solving it. No reason for everyone to try on their own to figure out a known problem. Can't have been that many owners to contact.

It maybe a bit harder than you think since they are not selling directly to the customer. It might be a bit harder hitting up the distrubters and then the dealers who may or maynot really have the information. I think I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    It would seem that if Schneider was aware of the problem they should have contacted all owners of the lens that had registered with them. The problem should have been explained to the owners and procedures spelled out for solving it. No reason for everyone to try on their own to figure out a known problem. Can't have been that many owners to contact.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Anybody know why Schneider is not advertising the 80xl, but all longer lengths?
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    the Schneideroptic website which provides serial numbers for their lenses up through April of 2000...

Here is a much more complete list (to 2005), from Schneider Kreuznach.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    It's on the SS XL list, just at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    If you are referring to the Schneider USA ads (such as this one: http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/...ersymmarxl.pdf) run in View Camera magazine and other publications, my recollection is that Schneider introduced the SS110XL first, followed by the SS150XL, SS210XL and SS80XL. They apparently never updated their ads to reflect the latest family members. I can't think of any other explanation.