Thread: Apo v. Non Apo Symmar for 210 Schneider

Apo v. Non Apo Symmar for 210 Schneider

Folks -

I would really appreciate your help in choosing between Schneider's APO Symmar 2 10 5.6 v. the Symmar S MC 210 5.6.

I'm mostly interested in resolution and contrast. Is there a significant / notic eable difference between the two?

Thanks,

Peter

Less coverage for the Symmar S.

There is a quantum increase in performance, resolution, contrast, distortion contro;, MTF, coverage, etc. with the Rodenstock Apo Sironar S however

Don't know about the Rodenstock - it's probably a fine lens - but there was an article several years back by Mike Johnston (currently editor of Photo Techniques) about "The Ten Best Lenses of All Time" (all manufacturers, all eras, all formats). The Schneider 210 f/5.6 Apo-Symmar was on the list. Works for me.

Cheers!

Mr. Parsons,

What were the other nine?

I have to agree with Mr. Solomon. The Rodenstock APO Sironar S is a really spectacular lens. I'm sure the APO Symmar is great, but I don't think it could possibly be sharper than the Rodenstock, and I believe the Rodenstock has slightly wider coverage (75 vs 72 degrees). Contrast is as good as I have ever seen from any lens. I am thrilled with my 180mm APO Sironar S, and a good friend of mine loves his 210mm. I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of these, including the older Symmar S MC, but if I had to make the choice again, I'd still choose the Rodenstock. They are darn close to perfect. I'm not affiliated with Rodenstock or HP Marketing in any way, I just love the results from this chunk of glass.

Bob, what about performance differences between Apo-Sironar-N and Apo- Sironar-S?

I have an opportunity to pick up the "N" for what appears to be a very fair price, vintage about 1993 according to the serial number.

The "S" is a *whole* lot more money... just curious if it is worth it.

Folks -

Thank you for your honest opinions on the subject matter.

In the end, I was a bit interested in the Rodenstock, but could not find them in used condition...luckily, I got a great deal on an APO Symmar that I couldn't pass up either way.

Sincerely,

Peter