Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS for backcountry work

GPS for backcountry work

Anybody using one? Any links to or tips on reliable ($200 or so) units needed. Thanks!

Re: GPS for backcountry work

I'm GPS. I'm absolutely necessary to all my cameras to take pictures. And don't even try with your $200... What a bad joke!

I have a 3 year old $99 Garmin basic model from REI Inc. I havent been lost since- I have also used it to save locations of shooting possibilities. The higher dollar one give a few extra bells and whistles like having the ability to download maps and compasses that dont require you to be moving to be accurate- but to me its just fluff- a basic model does everything I could ever want and more-

I use a Garmin GPSmap76CS. Once you select a model with enough memory to download maps and such, and then buy the map data, I suspect you'll be looking at substantially more than $200, though.

Garmin makes the best units IMO as I have checked them all out. I just got a Garmin GPSmap60CSx and I love it. Bigger screen and very functional. They make smaller and less expensive models. Nice to have around and to mark spots to come back and re-shoot.

Cheers!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Depends on how many bells and whistles you want. Some people want a GPS that doubles as a survey instrument. Me, I use the Garmin Geko 201. Its small, light, and plugs into my computer.

I use a Garmin eMap. Great unit and you can probably pick it up on eBay for cheap.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

lazy retired bum

I have a brand new high end Garmin GPSmap60Csx, and would love to sell my older GPS 12, it works fine, I have the manual, it's just not as fancy. It would be well within your price range. Send me a pm if you're interested. I believe it's still on Garmin's web site though it is an older model.

For me, it is a fancy toy. I do not use GPS to mark photo locations but rather for hiking and measuring how far and how high I've gone. Since I almost always hike on trails, I would be in big trouble if I ever really NEEDED it.

Eric

Photographer

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista that I've had for a few years. It works great, although it will lose the signal in dense woods and canyons. The models Michael and Eric mentioned are supposed to be better in woods and canyons. If I was buying today, that's what I would look at. They are more expensive, larger and heavier than models like the Vista, but I think they would be worth it.
    Keith Pitman

I'm relieved everyone uses Garmin- turns out my wife has already ordered a GPS 72! It'll serve dual purposes, she has been clearing and plotting backcountry horse trails and I'll use it for all the reasons mentioned ( + a few I hadn't even thought of yet) I guess my wife finally out-gearheaded me. Thanks a bunch!