Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 150mm f4.5

Warren

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 150mm f4.5

Can anyone tell me what size filter will fit this lens? Or where I must start with a step-up ring adapter to use a larger modern screw-on filter? The lens was original, I think, with the Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic.
    tnx
    Warren

Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 150mm f4.5

I am able to fit a press-on Series VII 1 11/16" (42.5mm) adapter ring to the front of my 15cm Tessar which allows me to add a Series VII lens hood and filters.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by wskmosaic View Post
    Can anyone tell me what size filter will fit this lens? Or where I must start with a step-up ring adapter to use a larger modern screw-on filter? The lens was original, I think, with the Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic.
    tnx
    Warren
    I have a post-war Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) 150 mm 4.5 tessar, which have a 49 mm filter size.

I've three CZJ 150mm f4.5 Tessars and they are all slightly different filter threads or push on. The dialset Compr version is in Turkey or I'd check it, then there's the early Rimset Compur version followed by a more modern lighter lens mount which is 40.5mm screw thread quite different to the Linhof select 150mm f4.5 Tessars from Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) made at the same time. The older lenses while they have a thread are disigned for push on filter usually 42.5 as mentioned abaove.

You really need to check which version you have.

Ian

tnx
    Warren
    My dial set Tessar 150mm takes a E39mm filter.

yours
    Frank

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I've three CZJ 150mm f4.5 Tessars and they are all slightly different filter threads or push on. The dialset Compr version is in Turkey or I'd check it, then there's the early Rimset Compur version followed by a more modern lighter lens mount which is 40.5mm screw thread quite different to the Linhof select 150mm f4.5 Tessars from Carl Zeiss (Oberkochen) made at the same time. The older lenses while they have a thread are disigned for push on filter usually 42.5 as mentioned abaove.

You really need to check which version you have.

Ian
    It's a compur-mounted rimset shutter.

tnx
    Warren
    Measure the outside diameter of the front of the lens, then look for a push on series adapter to fit. You can then get a series - to - metric adapter, or go with the series filters.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

The above replies almost answer the same question I have regarding a similar lens, a Carl Zeiss Jena 13.5 cm f/4.5 Tessar.

Thinking that this lens has a 34 mm filter thread, I purchased a 34-49 step-up ring, only to find it doesn't quit fit. On closer inspection, the front thread appears to be solely for holding the front element in place via a screw-in ring, and doesn't seem to have a lead-in on the thread for a filter to engage with. I'm wondering if someone can confirm this?

If the solution is to use a Series push-on adapter, what number adapter fits 36.8 push-on size please?

Thanks, Barry.

Just to add some info about the original post, I also have CZJ 15 com f/4.5 in a rim-set Compur, and it has a 40.5 mm filter thread. So there is quite a bit of variation. I also have a 16.5 cm f/4.5 which has a 48 mm thread.

Barry.

I have a CZJ 165mm f6.3 Tessar, Rimset Comor, that seems to be 34mm push on filter, also a CZJ 165mm f5.3 Tessar Rimset Compur again takes 36.5mm push on filters, those measurements are to about 0.5mm.

Ian