Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Question: 5x7 Film Holders

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Marketing Question: 5x7 Film Holders

At present I'm more interested in more 13x18cm holders than in more 5x7" - precisely due to the difference in available materials.

But since I can get 10 lightly used Linhof 13x18 holders for the price of one new 5x7" holder, it's a non-issue.

Hello Paul,
    One aspect of the proposed holder which has not been touched on, is weight.
    You are specifying a s/s sheath or dark slide, surely this will incur a heavy weight penalty over plastic? Or if you reduce the thickness, you may reduce the weight. Can you maintain a suitable fine tolerance on the moulded grooves, for the thinner sheath to slide in?
    Just curious
    Colin Myers

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Droluk View Post
    a 57PS is already in design.
    Paul,

Do you have a projected completion date for your 57PS?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Myers View Post
    Hello Paul,
    One aspect of the proposed holder which has not been touched on, is weight.
    You are specifying a s/s sheath or dark slide, surely this will incur a heavy weight penalty over plastic? Or if you reduce the thickness, you may reduce the weight. Can you maintain a suitable fine tolerance on the moulded grooves, for the thinner sheath to slide in?
    Just curious
    Colin Myers
    Colin,

the thickness of the SS darkslide will be considerably thinner than the plastic ones usually used. We have incorporated the appropriate tolerances, which our mold maker has confirmed are do-able. Fortunately for those interested in the 5x7 or WP holders, we will have already proved this out in advance with our 4x10 film holders. Net, net, our film holder will weigh in at very slightly more than the comperable Toyo, though the benefits (durability, IR proof) should be worth the slight weight penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    Paul,

Do you have a projected completion date for your 57PS?
    90-120 days, though it will be another 30 days or so before the full range of Cones will be available. Initially, we'll have the most popular ones ready when the camera is.

OK everyone, we have made our decision... and WILL BE manufacturing the 5x7 film holders. The anticipated selling price is $50.00, though likely slightly less.

School is still out on the Whole Plate holders until we receive additional commitments. We will commence tooling the 5x7 molds shortly.

That being said, the details of the current commitments for the 5x7 film holders is not entirely clear and trackable. So to better account for this, I would ask that you email me directly, clearly stating your purchasing commitment... (paul.droluk@fotomancamera.com).

Thank you all for your input and support.
    Last edited by Paul Droluk; 13-Mar-2007 at 20:22. Reason: typo

Paul,

Though I do not use 5 X 7 or shoot larger than 4 X 5, I wish you much luck with the introduction of the 5 X 7 holders for those that use and have a need for them.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Droluk View Post
    OK everyone, we have made our decision... and WILL BE manufacturing the 5x7 film holders. The anticipated selling price is $50.00, though likely slightly less.

School is still out on the Whole Plate holders until we receive additional commitments. We will commence tooling the 5x7 molds shortly.

That being said, the details of the current commitments for the 5x7 film holders is not entirely clear and trackable. So to better account for this, I would ask that you email me directly, clearly stating your purchasing commitment... (paul.droluk@fotomancamera.com).

Thank you all for your input and support.
    If you have made the commitment to make the holders, then go ahead and make them. Coming into this fray when many of us (including me) had comitted to Gary for the Toyo deal is both unfortunate and has me scratching my head. If you feel that the market is sufficient long term to make the financial commitment to machine dies then the numbers we were talking about for the Toyo deal have to inconsequential in the bigger scheme of things.

I am staying the course with the Toyo deal even at a higher price out of principal. When someone that I respect has the ability to test one of your holders and the unbiased conclusion is highly favorable then I will consider that option. Playing the low cost card patricularly at this early stage of the manufacturing process is challenging simply because while you have internal cost expectations, there are always surprises that pop up.

Hope it all works out well.

Cheers!

Regarding the Toyo deal. Am I correct that there is still no firm committment from Toyo to make the holders? Further, I have seen no indication at all of price.

What is most important to me is Fortoman's firm decision to go ahead and make the holders while Gary is still waiting for an answer from Toyo. Sorry to be the cynic here but my gut tells me that, at the end of the day, Toyo isn't going to come through. BTW, I am a fan of Toyo products and use a Toyo AII regularly.

Actually, I do have some pricing information, and other information from the rep got it yesterday. I need to translate all in to English and type it up. The short version is they are going to be expensive and there are several reasons for that as well as some speculation on my part. Its past my bedtime, tomorrow I will post a detailed response, and at that point then let everybody decided whether its best to proceed or not.

Personally, I just want some good holders, whether from Toyo, Fotoman or if they just fall from the heavans. Getting some good quality modern holders is really whats important, regardless of who makes them.

Thank you everybody who has supported this so far, your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Gary

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Smith; 14-Mar-2007 at 06:44. Reason: typos.