Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Bulk Alt Process Chemistry

Buying Bulk Alt Process Chemistry

Couple questions for those alt guys out there:

1) Has anyone bought chemicals from CJChemical on eBay? Was the quality ok? They have silver nitrate there for $170/lb. which seems pretty good from a price perspective.

2) Any good resources for purchasing potassium chloroplatinite? Best I've found in a few quick searches is $25/oz... Granted, I know what it contains but I'm betting there's a better deal out there. I might try the platinum kits just to get a handle on the process (haven't tried it yet), but it seems way too expensive for the long run.

Thanks!
    --A

Re: Buying Bulk Alt Process Chemistry

There is no way in the world you can buy an oz of potassium chloroplatinite for $25! Phone up B&S and buy a little kit to get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    There is no way in the world you can buy an oz of potassium chloroplatinite for $25!
    Ooops, meant per gram.... slight slipup...

I usually buy from artcraftchemicals.com or photoformulary.com, but for precious metal salts, try mostlymetals.com. He usually has good prices. I've purchased gold chloride from him.

Artcraft's price for Silver Nitrate is the same (well, actually $1 cheaper) so I wouldn't take the risk.

I strongly suspect Artcraft (Michael Jacobsen) and CJ Chemical are related. They're from the same city and their prices are very similiar. If I had to guess, it's father and son/daughter.

Oops, I just took a look at CJChemical and realize that Salty is probably correct; prices location and products are really similar. I have to order something from Mike tomorrow so I will just ask him.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up CJChemical in the New York State directory of corporations. There is an inactive company by that name with a Syracuse mailing address. Syracuse is a 3 hour drive from Altamont.

But coincidences are hard to believe - and considering that the number of companies in the US who supply photo chemicals is very small, it strikes me as a totally unbelievable coincidence that two independent companies would be located in a community that is so small that it doesn't even have traffic lights.

My guess is that CJChemical is an alter-ego used to sell over e-Bay.

Another odd coincidence is that Michael Jacobsen of Artcraft used to sell chemicals every few months on ebay under his ID mwkkc. He hasn't sold anything on ebay for approximately 10 months now, and guess how long CJ Chemical has been a seller on ebay? Yup, 10 months.

Salty was right, CJ Chemical is run by Mike Jacobson's son.