Thread: Technika III revolving back looseness.

Technika III revolving back looseness.

Hi,
    I have a Master Technika III, (the last version: just before the IV). The revolving back is just a tiny bit sloppy in that it doesn't "snap" into place at the four cadinal points quite like it used to. There is only a small bit of play but it could throw the film off horizontal or vertical by a couple of degrees if I am not careful. I understand that the main part of the body is identical to the IV's so the question is..Does anyone out there know how to take the revolving back apart on either model and tighten it up. Clearly there is a round race with spring loaded ball bearings that snap into round indentations at four points, but I am hesitant to start taking too much apart without advice from someone who has been there. I am handy but have the unfortunate habit of taking apart things I cannot put back together.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Technika III revolving back looseness.

Sorry I don't know how to do what you want to do but if you're in the U.S. I'd suggest calling Marflex and seeing what Martin has to say unless someone here can tell you exactly how to do it. Incidentally, your camera is a Technika III, not a Master Technika III. The Master Technika (no numerals) came along a couple decades later.

I'm not sure that the backs and internal parts were the same from the III to the IV but perhaps they were. I do know that the internal parts and mechanism for the back were changed from the V to the Master even though externally the backs appear to be the same and Linhof only supplies the Master internal parts, not the parts for the V and earlier Technikas.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Actually Brian I do stand corrected. I confused the older designation for what they called "super" technika with "master". In any event essentially the last (fifth) version of the III, has been described as a "type IV body with III type front movements", so I assume there is no significant difference in the revolving back.
    The above quote comes fom the following site which also explains how to remove the back. (Turns out that part is dreadfully simple.)
    http://cameraquest.com/techs.htm
    Having done so I can see that there is only one ball bearing which no longer protrudes very far and thus does not engage with the four holes for the various positions.
    I guess now the issue is how to adjust that little ball bearing. Any input there?

Rick,

I had a back like that on my Tech III, (and replaced it with another back). The bearing is in a housing that screws in from the opposite side. The slider on the other side must be removed to expose the screw slot. When I tried to turn the screw, I discovered it must be cemented in. So, somehow, the glue or cement must be loosened up before the screw can be turned. Sorry I don't know much more about that back.

The replacement back I installed had a spring loaded pin to locate the different positions. I drilled locating holes for the pin for horizontal and vertical positions. Now the back locks in place - better than the bearing did.

Jack

Thanks gentlemen,
    Brian, I'm on the East Coast of Canada. Do you happen to know the last name of this Martin chap you had mentioned at Marflex?
    Jack, I got far enough to see that the housing is clearly cemented in. The cement however seems to be old and brittle. (Heck they made this last version of the III circa 1955-this beast is only a year younger than I and seems arguably to be holding up better.). Anyway I was wondering (assuming I could take care of the cement which I think I can), if the entire housing which holds the bearing moved in and out so the speak. The presence of threads right up to what would be the "inside" surface of the back would seem to suggest so. If this were the case it seems it could be moved a few screw turns (thus exposing more of the bearing) and then re-cemented. Did you get far enough with your original back to discover if this was indeed the case before you went with the other back?
    I hate to bug everyone with what might appear to be overcaution, but the last time I got into something like this I wound up with a Nikon F4 body (which had suffered a bad battery leak) in about oh.....a thousand pieces on my desk. I won't say how that repair went but I haven't shot 35 mm in a while.

Rick,
    I did not investigate further about adjusting the bearing projection, since I simply replaced that back. It was not a spring (graflok type) back anyway, and resides in the closet. maybe a drop of solvent could loosen it up. Not sure. Sorry.

Jack

Rick,

Martin at this point is Marflex. At one time he had as many as I recall about 15 employees. With time the business got smaller. He has now semi retired to his new home in North Carolina and still does the official repair for HP Marketing for cameras including Linhof. I have had Martin and his staff of Marflex work on my Linhof and Rollei cameras since about 1990. He is quite knowledgeable and quite good at his work. He can be contacted at:

252 652 4401

marflex@aol.com

Hope this helps.
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Thanks again gentlemen,
    Work is now impeding on such (or any), projects, but after I get the issue resolved, I'll post the results, just in case anyone else ever has the same problem.