Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tachihara - Foldable with "normal" lens?

Re: Tachihara - Foldable with "normal" lens?

This was my first post here, and I wanted to thank everyone who has commented. Many good points were raised. I see the point that having the lens attached to the camera may not save time compared to all the other steps involved.

-Vijay

SF Bay Area 94303

I have an old Tachihara and an old style Fujinon-W 150 mm in Seiko shutter that folds fine on a flat board, this if you can figure out how to fold it in the first place. This is a flat tessar design lens (I think) and more modern Fujinon's in copals may not fit. But as pointed out this should not be a huge issue. On a speed or crown graphic I think it would be a more serious issue because you can just pop the thing open and hand hold it as you blast away.

I suppose there are lenses that will fold into a Tachihara, and that would work fine if you plan to only use one lens.

None of my lenses will fit when the camera gets folded. Besides, if I left a lens on the camera, it would invariably be the wrong lens when next I set it up, so it would take longer to remove the wrong lens and mount the needed one, than it takes to start with a bare camera.

OTOH, I've got a point and shoot digital camera that's pretty fast...

Hi, I have tachihara and I am able to fold it with Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW (not the smallest standard lens) - but I have to inverse the lensboard. The fit is marginal, as the Copal#0 shtter just barely fit through the opening of the front standard. Also the place elft between the lenscap and groundglass is just a milimeter or two. I can imagine that lens like Apo Symmar (L) would fit wthout inversing the lensboard.

I cannot keep on the camera my Caltar II-E 210/6.8 even not in the inverse position, as the Copal#1 is too large.

Matus

I can reverse the 300m Ilex on the Tachihara 8x10 and fold the camera nicely. As to why I would do that, well, so I have /room/ in the backpack for another lens ?

One thing to consider is to have a cable release dedicated to each lens. Screwing and unscrewing a cable release is a pain (as Brian pointed out). I also tend to leave my camera mounted to the tripod as I move around so long as the terrain isn't too difficult or I am not going a long distance. I've never had a problem with this, but I am pretty careful of low hanging limbs, etc.