Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J&C Photo (just curious)

J&C Photo (just curious)

Anybody know what's really going on with J&C Photo? I've never heard of closing down a successful business for NINE months just to move to a new location. (I've always enjoyed buying there, and fortunately already have my freezer stocked with many boxes of 9x12 cm EFKE film from them.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: J&C Photo (just curious)

I'd say expect them to keep extending their "opening date" ad infinitum...

There was their stuff about moving to a new location

There was all the stuff about not opening on time because of some unspecified, unspoken illness etc

There were the problems with the big sheet film order

So then they keep extending the deadline month by month without ever giving any clear reasoning for their customers.

I've also heard of at least two other operations thinking of stepping in to fill the void they left

So, I wouldn't hold your breath
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

And to Las Vegas at that. Couldn't they find a more expensive place to live? :-0

New Orleans these days would probably qualify.

I guess the thing I find so funny and curious about this, is the way some people are re-acting to this.

People are praising them for only being closed from December 2006 to September 2007. J&C keep extending their re-opening date for various reasons as stated above, including trying to find a coating facility to make their own paper and film. The little information they post on their website would not be enough to string me along. Freestyle and The View Camera Store, I believe, have picked up the slack for those of you who shoot the odd size films.

Personally, I have only place one order with them, as I quickly found out that I don't care for the films they carry. But I know lots of you do and if I were someone who had "counted" on them for my supplies, I high doubt I would be a returning customer after this "hiatus".

There are several other places to get my supplies.

From their site:
    Jan 20 - we will re-open in 3-6 months.

(A month goes by and they extend the reopening by 3 months.)

Feb 19 - we will re-open on Sept 1 (of what year?)

I don't know which films they will carry since forte closed up shop. I don't know if anyone else noticed that they pulled everything but ilford and kodak from their site right around forte's closure.

They removed items from their website as they sold out before they closed for relocation, so that people would be able to find the remaining items that were in stock.

As with many business decisions, there could easily be more going on than is obvious to the customer. I suggest enjoying whatever products you got from them in the past and just wait and see what happens.

Since their announced intention is to start their own film and paper coating it could be that state government restrictions where they were forced the move to Nevada. Nevada being a mining state is more likely to be accepting of such a plant.

Ifor one am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and eagerly await their re-opening in Sept 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Since their announced intention is to start their own film and paper coating it could be that state government restrictions where they were forced the move to Nevada. Nevada being a mining state is more likely to be accepting of such a plant.
    If your implication is that Nevada, because it is a mining state, is any less concerned with chemical plants and possible related health and environmental impacts, you are mistaken. I am building chemical plants here in Nevada, and Nevada is no less restrictive with regard to zoning and permitting than other states I have done business in. In fact, maybe because of the nuclear testing and mining history and the negative impact in the past, Nevadans are more concerned.

Anyway, with regards to J&C moving to Nevada, I would guess they moved business here for the same reasons I did - to live in a beautiful natural environment combined with a friendly business atmosphere with no corporate or personal income taxes and no inventory taxes. Good luck to them, moving is a big effort.