Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ERA 8x10 PAN

ERA 8x10 PAN

Hi

Anyone has experience on Era 8x10 film. Just got them and tested @100ISO and developed it in Rodinal 1/100 at 20° in 28 minutes. Soaking it for a minute to start with. It came out very dense although my exposure was quiet right on indoor control lighting situtiation. I have done two of the same images one with sun lit the other under soft floresence lighting. Aggitating little as possible (read on a forum that it can dense very quick). Now the trick is that I have used a Patterson tank with the centre column in it. I don't think it got fogged when I look at the image the details are there but over all it looks really dark and dense all around. I tried to scan but the scanner picked up very little detail, although it is only a flat bed without transparency adaptor. I have scanned TRI-X400 with it and it was okay to see as a proof.

If anyone has an experience with this film I would appreciate it. Don't wish to try and burn too many of the sheets as they are worth every penny these days.

Thanks
    OK!
    P.S. Enclosed a sample scanned and Photoshoped version of the image. HERE

Dave Karp

Re: ERA 8x10 PAN

Just a guess but 30 minutes seems like a lot for that dilution. Maybe cut it to 20?

David

Thanks for the link. I read it but it is all over the place. Lots of questions no answers. Nothing much about the Rodinal and the density issue.

Aaron, I based the developement time from digital truth-massive chart web site. According to them Rodinal 1/50 is 14 minutes so I double that amount. Is it too much I don't know.

Thanks
    Mark

Maybe you can try some ERA 4X5 first, it is cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtay View Post
    Hi

Anyone has experience on Era 8x10 film. Just got them and tested @100ISO and developed it in Rodinal 1/100 at 20° in 28 minutes. Soaking it for a minute to start with. It came out very dense although my exposure was quiet right on indoor control lighting situtiation. I have done two of the same images one with sun lit the other under soft floresence lighting. Aggitating little as possible (read on a forum that it can dense very quick). Now the trick is that I have used a Patterson tank with the centre column in it. I don't think it got fogged when I look at the image the details are there but over all it looks really dark and dense all around. I tried to scan but the scanner picked up very little detail, although it is only a flat bed without transparency adaptor. I have scanned TRI-X400 with it and it was okay to see as a proof.

If anyone has an experience with this film I would appreciate it. Don't wish to try and burn too many of the sheets as they are worth every penny these days.

Thanks
    OK!
    P.S. Enclosed a sample scanned and Photoshoped version of the image. HERE

Any other solid suggestions..?

I think your processing times/dilutions are way off (apart from the fact I've never liked Rodinal...!)

I'm waiting to test some in 4x5 when I have time - I'd try starting with their recomended times for D23 or D76 for now, or try the massive dev chart times for Pyrocat (which is whatI'll be trying out first)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"Any other solid suggestions..?"

Good starting points are:

continuous rotation =
    HC-110 D solution for 7 min.@70*F
    PyroCat MC 1-1-100 for 9min.@70*F

semi stand=
    PyroCat MC 1-1-200 for 45min.@70*F, three 15 min. cycles

for semi-stand the dilution is touchy, 1 to 150, 175, 190, 200, 225 will each give a different max.density (CI?) but approx. the same film speed. May be a new version of zone system manipulation, standard time and temp. with different dilutions. I'm lazy, I like easy.

Aaron, I have tried a couple of 4x5 sheets of Era 100 (as suggested Songyun) in 25 minutes however it is still the same. Next time I will do 20minutes as you suggested. I have also tried the HC110 that seemed fine for the given time.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, I would like to get a good result by using RODINAL (If poss). I didn't like Rodinal either (Tim) but it is convenient for the dilution of 1/50 or 1/100. I have a bottle to use, I haven't tried the PyroCat, yet. Paul thanks for the times on the HC-110 and PyroCat.

Afterall, all to do with experimenting with different sources and to share our knowledge.

Thanks

I just use D76 for approximately 8mins as suggested on digitaltruth, never tried anything else, I will visit some Chinese forum, somebody there tried different solutions.

I say approximately, because I use a hp tank, it takes me 30 secs to fill the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtay View Post
    Aaron, I have tried a couple of 4x5 sheets of Era 100 (as suggested Songyun) in 25 minutes however it is still the same. Next time I will do 20minutes as you suggested. I have also tried the HC110 that seemed fine for the given time.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, I would like to get a good result by using RODINAL (If poss). I didn't like Rodinal either (Tim) but it is convenient for the dilution of 1/50 or 1/100. I have a bottle to use, I haven't tried the PyroCat, yet. Paul thanks for the times on the HC-110 and PyroCat.

Afterall, all to do with experimenting with different sources and to share our knowledge.

Thanks