Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How useful are lateral shifts for landscape photography?

How useful are lateral shifts for landscape photography?

I am thinking about buying a camera that doesn't have lateral shifts on the front or back. I know that I could emulate a shift by using a combination of swings on the rear and front standard. My question to the landscape photographers out there is how often do you use lateral shifts? Would you buy a camera that does not have shifts?

FYI, I am looking a an Ebony RW45. The camera seems well constructed and has swing, tilt, and rise on the front and swing and tilt on the back. The price is right. Other Ebony cameras with lateral shifts are much more expensive. Thanks for your help!

My Toyo field camera (the older 5X7 one)doesn't have any shift movements in either the front or back and I don't seem to miss this feature at all. I use (in order of frequency) front tilt, front swing, front rise and back tilt.

My use of the back tilt is kind of misleading as well. I just use it to square everything up when I drop the front bed (to get it out of the way) when I'm using my 65 mm lens.

Now ALL movements will come in handy eventually so if you CAN get a camera with them you would be better off. For what I do, I find my Toyo to be fully functional without front or rear shifts.

My camera has shift, and I have never used it. You can simulate shift by using front and rear swing, so I would not hesitate to get the cheaper camera.

I never use rear shifts and just about all of my photography is done outdoors. On very rare occasions I use front shifts, but I could probably get along just fine without front shift. As the former poster said, use front and rear swings if you have to have shift. Shifts are more valuable to architectural photographers than to us who like to go stomping through the woods and mountains. Save the money.

I fully agree with the previous comments. Front tilt, rise and fall will do in m ost situations.

You can accomplish all the shift you will ever need readily using the front and rear swings. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Even for architecture subjects the method of using front and rear swings to accomplish shift is 'straight forward'. It is a convienence to have a separate front shift that might only be missed if you used it all the time.

OK, maybe I'm using it wrong, but I find shift comes in handy when my little lens with a woefully inadequate circle needs a bit of help for coverage on a swing.

Something to keep in mind, unless there is a better way. But I certainly need it with the caliber of lenses I use.

Dean
    Dean Lastoria

I always thought that swings, front or back, have an impact on the plane of focu s. Am I wrong? I do considerable landscape photography and like the rear shift . More convenient to shift than to move entire camera.

I forgot to mention that swings alter the shape of an object and it is better to rely on shift if your desired result is to change the location of your subject on the ground glass without any changes in object shape.

All I mean is when you swing a bit for some Shl*.* or to, say get a fence in nice like, then the cone moves over a bit and you just shift a bit to keep the composition the same because the circle creeps up very fast on an over taxed lens.

Dean
    Dean Lastoria