Thread: good, inexpesive backpack to fit Sinar F2

good, inexpesive backpack to fit Sinar F2

I am looking for a good but not too expensive backpack to fit Sinar F2. Any ideas?
    thanks,
    Jan

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Re: good, inexpesive backpack to fit Sinar F2

I was caring my SInar F1 with 3 lenses 10 holders and some other small stuff in Lowepro Pro Trekker AW. I don't know if that fits your idea of "not too expensive", but for me that was much better choice then Sinar's old and hard case. (Yes, I was backpacking with that cumbersome coffer. not the best idea I have to say)
    Anyway - even that (Sinar in Pro Trekker) was to heavy for me so I added Tachihara to my set... :)

Hi,
    I would not count Pro Trekker AV as inexpensive, too bad...

Jan

well, me neither... I was thinking of him as expensive but "not too expensive".

Janko,
    do you like this backpack? Is it comfortable to carry heavy stuff?
    Jan

yes, it is... It is well shaped and you can arrange stuff in it as you like or need, but! this backpack is heavy. you could came in no time to 20 kilos (44 pounds?)... sinar, several lenses, holders, some smaller 2nd camera, tripod... you have to be in really good shape if you want to hike with it. well, you have to be in good shape to hike with sinar in any backpack. I would really suggest you to consider some smaller/lighter camera. I had opportunity and I grabbed Tachihara and I'm happy with it. Sinar can't be placed in smaller backpack, but for Tachihara with 3 lenses, small Lovepro classic tracker is just enough. I'm 40 now (well, close to 42) and sinar in backpack is overkill for me for any walk longer than 30 minutes. When I was in my 20s, I could hike with 18 kg in rucksack for hours climbing about 1000-1400 meter a day. Today I don't walk longer than 2 hours and for sure I don't cary sinar further than 100 meters away from car.

Janko,
    Thank you for comments. I moved to the US quite recently, I still can count in kilograms, kilometers etc.
    Anyhow, I am going in exactly opposite direction. I just sold my Tachihara and I am in the process of buying the F2.
    I do not do long hikes with LF camera. I took Tachihara for few longer day hikes but when I am looking at my "keeper" prints none of them I took at ony of those hikes.

regards,

Jan

I use a modifed 4x5 Sinar F2 for my work. This is not an inexpensive way to make a Sinar more portable but it may illustrate other means to make it easier and quicker to use and transport a Sinar in the field. The modifications include shortening the standard rails so that they no longer protrude below the tightening knobs on the bottom. This gives me an F2 that is 14" tall. The next step was having the 6" rail, which is actually 7", shortened by about an inch so that the camera can lay flat but still be fully assembled (just needing an extension rail), in a 6" deep case. These modifications were done for me by SK Grimes.

The stock bellows does not compress very small or extend very long so I had a custom bellows made by Camera Bellows in the UK. The new bellows is only 1" thick when fully compressed and extends to nearly 24". I am able to use a 65mm Grandagon and my 480mm APO Ronar without changing bellows. This is also saves time and weight in the field.

I have mounted all my lenses on the far smaller Linhof/Wista boards and use a sinar to linhof adapter on the camera body. These boards require far less space in a camera bag and also reduce the weight.

The last mod was to have a lens shade compendium, from Canham, adapted to attach to the sinar by the use of a small Sinar rod that fits into the rod holder on the front standard. The use of this type of lens shade allows me to remove lenses, made easier with the Linhof boards, and or filters without having to remove a lens shade. The shade is large enough where I can change things by merely sticking my hand straight through the front of the shade. The shade can stay on the camera while it is packed as the shade does not stick out past the 6" over all depth when compressed.

I also chose to use a Non-meter Sinar back which is about 1 1/4" shorter than the meter version. These are available fairly often on E-ay.

I leave my rail clamp attached to the tripod and as such it acts like a quick release for the camera. So all I need do is pop the camera on the tripod/rail clamp and add the extension rail to the 6" one that the camera is already set up on he camera.

Having done these modifications I can now put the camera, fully assembled but needing to add the extension rail, in a Lightware 1420 case, the backpack version of the 1420 as well, the Think Tank Airport addicted case, the F64 large back pack, and others.

When I work from the car though I use a hard case, the kind where the camera hangs fully assembled with it's long rail attached. If I need to hike all i need do is remove the long rail extension and compress the camera in order for it to fit in a back pack case.
    Last edited by Brian K; 27-Nov-2011 at 23:12.

Brian, thanks a lot. It seems to me that F2 will fit in my current backpack if I keep the camera on a shorter rail. That is a good news

Jan