Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sekonic 1 degree spot problem (L-358)

Re: Sekonic 1 degree spot problem (L-358)

Send it to Sekonic and they'll give it a once over and a calibration.

To make sure, you are turning the ring around the eyepiece to turn it from incident to spot, right? I have often done that the other way round and metered the inside of the spotmeter lenscap.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    When using my sekonic L-358 1 degree spot attachment, my meter grossly underestimates the amount of light. It suggests 6 or 7 stops over what I get with regional metering (using the standard 30 degree finder).

It seems as if the meter itself can't compensate for the limited amount of light that comes in with the spot attachment.

Am I missing something here?

And by the way, I'm not looking through the wrong end of the spot finder.
    I hate to "me too" such an old thread, but I think I've run into the exact same problem. I've been using my Sekonic L-358 in incident mode lately, and it has been working fine (as far as I can tell). Yesterday, I was digging through some old boxes of stuff and found the spot attachment I had for it (the same 1-degree finder). I just slapped it on, and took a few readings. I then sanity-checked them against a digital camera's built-in meter, and they were way off.

Thankfully, I recently ordered myself a proper spot meter, so I'm hoping I can just disregard this issue and move on. However, I was kinda hoping to have this one as a backup/comparison.

What were you metering to make the comparison?

Hang a sheet of paper up in even light. Set the camera on a tripod and meter using the spot meter setting. Remove the camera and put the spot meter on the tripod and meter the exact same location. Don't try to compare the incident reading to the spot reading. Two different beasts.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post

Hang a sheet of paper up in even light. Set the camera on a tripod and meter using the spot meter setting. Remove the camera and put the spot meter on the tripod and meter the exact same location. Don't try to compare the incident reading to the spot reading. Two different beasts.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post

Okay, I just did a somewhat more controlled test. Sitting in an interior room, with artificial light, set everything to ISO 200 and f/2.8 and spot-metered a grey wall. The Sekonic said T=4s. Meanwhile, both my Nikon D300 and Fuji X100F (both set to spot meter mode) read T=1/20.

(My previous tests were metering the view into my backyard, which showed a similar discrepancy...)

Light meters are extremely simple devices. Digital cameras not so much. Light meters are designed to render any and every thing they meter as 18% gray. Digital cameras are "smart in that they do more than render their subjects 18% gray. My D7100 never agrees with my sekonic. My D7100 will also not render a white paper as gray either.

I cannot remember the model it is but it is older than yours.

Just had a thought. Set your digitals to manual and fire a shot using the readings from the sekonic and see how they come out? I think I'll do that when I get home.

The attachment diminishes the light to the meter by about 5 stops according to the specs. So the compensating mechanism (electrical switch in the connecting area??) is not working. I don't have this meter, only the spec sheet, can you make sure it 'knows' the device is attached or post a picture of the problem area?
    I only see these two switches which I interpret as "10 VF" and "5 VF" to be "10 degree Viewfinder" etc, but I don't have this meter available to me. Looks nice, wish I had one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 6.27.12 PM.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	186226

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The attachment diminishes the light to the meter by about 5 stops according to the specs. So the compensating mechanism (electrical switch in the connecting area??) is not working. I don't have this meter, only the spec sheet, can you make sure it 'knows' the device is attached or post a picture of the problem area?
    I only see these two switches which I interpret as "10 VF" and "5 VF" to be "10 degree Viewfinder" etc, but I don't have this meter available to me. Looks nice, wish I had one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 6.27.12 PM.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	186226
    You know, I've never seen any obvious evidence of such a detection mechanism in the meter. There's also nothing in the manual that says anything about an indicator telling you if it knows an attachment is fitted. Its entirely possible that this is where the real problem is.

I'm also glad to finally see an answer that doesn't automatically assume I don't know how a spot meter works. The discrepancy is far too large to simply chalk it up to an "error of interpretation". That's why I stumbled upon this thread in the first place.

I actually got a "real" spot meter yesterday (Pentax Digital Spotmeter), and the battery for it just arrived a few minutes ago. (Side note... Why does every piece of battery-powered photographic equipment need its own special bizarre type of battery?)

Anyways, measuring the same spot /w the Pentax gives me T=1/15, which is far more reasonable. (I'm planning on using this meter going forward to get practice with spot-metering things, so I'll get a better feel for how it acts over the next few days.)

An old thread, but I found it because I had a similar problem - or most likely, the very same problem. My Sekonic L-358 with the 5 degree NP Finder attached would give readings sometimes that are around 2 stops underexposed. I.e. it would give a reading of let's say 1/15 @ f/11 if the correct exposure would actually be around 1/4 to 1/3 @ f/11.

@ic-racer above is right about the switches; those appeared to have been the problem at least in my case. I've written about my experience with tracking down the problem and (hopefully) resolving it here: https://tinker.koraks.nl/photography...rong-readings/
    While I specifically use the 5 degree finder, the story also applies to the 1 degree and 10 degree models. It's just a matter of which combination of switches is depressed by the fitted metering accessory.
    The problem of wildly inaccurate readings is highly unlikely to occur if no spot finder accessory is fitted, since the white dome for incident metering is 'coded' by neither of the switches being depressed, so it's the most fail-safe mode.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    An old thread, but I found it because I had a similar problem - or most likely, the very same problem. My Sekonic L-358 with the 5 degree NP Finder attached would give readings sometimes that are around 2 stops underexposed. I.e. it would give a reading of let's say 1/15 @ f/11 if the correct exposure would actually be around 1/4 to 1/3 @ f/11.

@ic-racer above is right about the switches; those appeared to have been the problem at least in my case. I've written about my experience with tracking down the problem and (hopefully) resolving it here: https://tinker.koraks.nl/photography...rong-readings/
    While I specifically use the 5 degree finder, the story also applies to the 1 degree and 10 degree models. It's just a matter of which combination of switches is depressed by the fitted metering accessory.
    The problem of wildly inaccurate readings is highly unlikely to occur if no spot finder accessory is fitted, since the white dome for incident metering is 'coded' by neither of the switches being depressed, so it's the most fail-safe mode.
    Fantastic!