Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sekonic 1 degree spot problem (L-358)

Sekonic 1 degree spot problem (L-358)

When using my sekonic L-358 1 degree spot attachment, my meter grossly underestimates the amount of light. It suggests 6 or 7 stops over what I get with regional metering (using the standard 30 degree finder).

It seems as if the meter itself can't compensate for the limited amount of light that comes in with the spot attachment.

Am I missing something here?

And by the way, I'm not looking through the wrong end of the spot finder.

Re: Sekonic 1 degree spot problem (L-358)

And this is while spot-metering something roughly 18% grey?

If so, I'd say it's time for a new meter.

When I do a regional metering of a scene I get one reading. Then when I spot meter a highlight in that scene I get a reading that suggests far more exposure -- obviously it doesn't make any sense for the highlights to be darker than the average scene reading.

My meter is less than a year old, and in both incident and reflective mode it works great. My only issue is with the spot attachment. I just want to know if there is some known problem like this, or if I'm not actually using it correctly.

Is the spot meter new to you and you are getting acquainted with it, or is this a change from how it metered in the past?

If the spot attachment is something you are trying out for the first time, then my guess would be that there is a setting that is in the incorrect position to give you such an abberant reading. I get something similar on my L-558 when I try to take an ambient reading with the meter set for spot. Exposures readings are drastically off because I'm really just spot metering the inside of a lenscap.

It's the same in that I normally meter in reflective mode, which is something that is automatically set based on whether you've attached the reflective lumigrid, the incident lumisphere, or one of the reflective spot attachments.

As much as I pore through the manual, I can't find anything that indicates that I need to set the meter specifically for spot readings (as opposed to just putting it in place of the lumigrid).

I have the L-358 with 1 degree spot attachment and the readings match my Minolta spotmeter. I just take out the lumisphere, attach the spot meter and take a reading.

I dont have another spot meter to compare it to.

But it doesn't match itself with the lumisphere or lumigrid.

It seems that if you were to take a 18% grey card and meter it with your spot meter, those readings should be very close to those taken with the luminsphere on. If they are close, everything on the meter should be working ok.

Paul,

You may just be trying to squeeze too much out of onemeter. After the 358 is designed to function as an incident meter and does that very well (good flashmeter too). My guess is that the spot atachment is just not built to the precision required to get accurate spot readings ... then again it might not be fitting properly.

I have no direct experience with the attachment but do recall using both the high-end Gossen 1 degree plug-in and their 7/15 degree slip on. The 7/15 degree slipon I found worthless and the other very fiddly and not as accurate as a dedicated spot meter.

Have you thought of sending it to Sekonic or Qiuality Light Metric for adjustment?

Interesting. I have L-358 with the one-degree spot meter attachment, and while I get the normal variance between incident and reflected light, it always follows any 35mm camera I'm using and my L-315b (bought years before). I've never had any problems, but one could ask the obvious, is the battery ok, or are your looking through the right end? Maybe it's metering your eyeball? Just curious and tongue in cheek as I sometimes have to tell myself, "Hey stupid! Turn it around."
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean