Thread: 360mm tele-xenar

360mm tele-xenar

New to me old-assed lens--in a barrel!
    Just happened to have an ancient wooden lensboard with just the right sized hole for mounting on Speed Graphic. Love the camera (although shutter is a bit...well...lethargic, shall we say. Beginning to love the lens.

Anybody know how to fortify wood that's beginning to splinter? I really can't afford to lose this board, as the hole size is non-standard and happens to fit the lens flange perfectly...

Re: 360mm tele-xenar

Inject it with ironwood stem (or, branch) cells?

Reinforcement really depends on what is going on with the wood. If internal stress is finally getting the better of the board (i.e. causing splits along the grain), it may be better to simply replace it with a new, stable board with a custom-drilled hole. That's really simple enough to do for a moderately-skilled woodworker. If the damage isn't too drastic, you might be able to reinforce it on the back side by inlaying one or more thin strips across the grain. Difficult to say without actually seeing the board, however.

Re: 360mm tele-xenar

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    New to me old-assed lens--in a barrel!
    Just happened to have an ancient wooden lensboard with just the right sized hole for mounting on Speed Graphic. Love the camera (although shutter is a bit...well...lethargic, shall we say. Beginning to love the lens.

Anybody know how to fortify wood that's beginning to splinter? I really can't afford to lose this board, as the hole size is non-standard and happens to fit the lens flange perfectly...
    Yo Percy,

"beginning to splinter" is not exactly arming us with a lot of detailed information. However it might be possible to make a repair which will last (I presume that's what you want), by properly applying W.E.S.T epoxy resin, which is a product typically used by boatbuilders for the purpose of sealing and bonding wood. It is available at West (no relation) Marine. A "sample" may be obtained inexpensively.

best, andy

THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE